Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Changing diapers on top of a dresser

Since we have a small place, I plan to use the dresser as a changing table as well. I see that many of you do that too.

I plan to get either a dresser that doubles as a changing table, or adding a changing table top to a dresser, like the one for the Ikea Hemnes. But after reading several threads, I am wondering if that extra top is necessary. It sounds like some of you just put the pad on top of the dresser?

Those of you who change on the dresser, what do you do?
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just put the changing pad on top of the dresser. Has never been a problem.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have a Bellini changing table top above my dresser and have had it for 7 years, since DD1 was born. Until our current place, we have always lived in very small (650-850) sq ft places and this space-saver was essential. Absolutely love the Bellini because the baby faces you rather than sideways. Store all the diapering stuff to the left and right. I think the table top is more secure and less likely to slide off and is designed for that size of pad. In our case, the top also raised the surface such that we didn't have to bend over to change diapers, so it saved our backs. Highly recommended.

for Sandy Hook

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Still-in-Shock View Post
    Since we have a small place, I plan to use the dresser as a changing table as well. I see that many of you do that too.

I plan to get either a dresser that doubles as a changing table, or adding a changing table top to a dresser, like the one for the Ikea Hemnes. But after reading several threads, I am wondering if that extra top is necessary. It sounds like some of you just put the pad on top of the dresser?

Those of you who change on the dresser, what do you do?
    I used a 3-drawer hemnes with a pad on top. It was a great height.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used a pad on top of the regular dresser. The pad has no slip stuff on th bottom and it never moved. I also never strapped thr baby to the pad.
    DD 9/10
    DS 8/12

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    I used a 3-drawer hemnes with a pad on top. It was a great height.
    We used a Cooshee changing pad on top of the 3-drawer Hemnes dresser from Ikea and it worked great.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I just put the changing pad on top of the dresser. Has never been a problem.

We had the Cooshee brand changer (it appears to have been discontinued) and stuck it directly on top of the (3-drawer Hemnes) dresser.

When DD outgrew that, I started changing diapers on an old towel on the floor.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I have a pad on top of a dresser. I have little fabric tethers that tether the pad to the back of the dresser. I did this for both girls and it works great.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

For an extra changing table in our bedroom, we just put a changing pad right on top of our dresser. It did slip, so we used one of the rubber mats meant to secure rugs underneath it. That worked fine! There's no reason to use a special topper.

I did non-slip shelf liner, and then put a contoured pad on top of that on the dresser. It worked well for us, but truthfully, it wasn't used much once DD became mobile... then it was easier to change her wherever she was at the moment.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast