Default Two-sided mattresses versus an infant mattress?

We are having our first baby. A friend recommended buying a two-sided mattress - one side for babies, one for toddlers. We will be using the crib for a few years as a toddler bed due to space considerations.

The book Baby Bargains mentions mattress options with dual firmness zones but is agnostic on whether this is worth it or not, versus just buying a foam baby mattress. Your thoughts?

I'm wondering the same thing and am pretty much asking the same thing in another thread. Considering I can get the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core for half the price of the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer, I'm leaning towards that. If I feel the need to get a toddler mattress, maybe I can get one I like for the same price as the Sealy. I would have ended up paying the same but would end up with two mattresses. Also, if you have more than one kid, you can use the baby mattress again while your first is using the toddler mattress.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used a foam mattress (Colgate Classica I) with my oldest DD1 (used about 3 yrs- she is now 6!) and also with DD2 ( who just turned 18 mos)- so it's had about 4.5 yrs of use...... I'd just go with one. Foam ones are really great in my opinion, for lifting out the mattress during those 2am bed changes, etc. I think I paid about 120 for the mattress. HTH.

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think it really matters. We got this one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it - totally worth the money IMHO as it barely seems broken in after two years and is light, wipeable and healthy for a little face smushed right on it http://www.amazon.com/Naturepedic-Co...+crib+mattress

I can't stress the light thing enough - so key when you have to change wet sheets quickly in the middle of the night... (ETA: ie. I tried, tried to move my friend's baby mattress WITH HER when we went shopping to finish her registry. Both big girls, and pregnant, and we could.not.move.the.damn.thing. Lightweight is your friend!)
    Last edited by Mopey; 02-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."