khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Britax Frontier 85 in Booster mode

I recently decided to let my 5 year old son start using his Frontier 85 in Booster mode. He is 42 pounds and about 44 inches tall.

I drive a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon. I installed the seat using LATCH. Does the seat need to be installed tightly? I am unsure because the other Parkway booster we have stays in place with LATCH clips but not tightly.

What do you do with the tether clip that is up by the head area? Is there a place to tuck that away? I assume you dont use it when in Booster mode.

Honestly I am finding the booster mode a complete PITA. I have to actually climb into the car to buckle him now. Also, at what height should the headrest be at? It seems if I make it so the seatbelt guide is down my his shoulder (sitting the way it should sit), then the seatbelt doesnt seem like it could really tighten up in case of an accident. If I put the headrest higher (so now the belt comes down higher up), then the seat belt can retract on its own after I buckle him up.

Is it just my car? Are there any tricks to using the booster mode more easily? My DS is so excited to be in a booster seat and I dont want to disappoint him and change it back.

I COULD give my DH the Frontier (he drives a 2010 Prius and I could take the Parkway if that would work better in my Outback.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

Remove slack, but it doesn't have to be tight. I just leave my top tether hooked, but I think there's an elastic band on it so you can roll it up and keep it just tucked back there. Move the headrest up and down, and the shoulderbelt anchor in your car (if you have one?) up and down so you get the perfect arrangement that it's on his shoulder and retracts freely.
    And then gosh, girl, where ya been? All we ever do on this board is gripe and moan that this seat is a PITB to deal with in booster mode before the kiddo is about 7 and has long enough arms to buckle themselves It doesn't matter what car it's in, it's a pain to buckle. Maybe put it in the least used car so it's not a pain every day?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

LOL. I guess I dont pay attention to car seat threads unless I have a problem. Ugh. This seat is a PITA. I really want to make it work though, but its very annoying!
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

How's your vehicle buckle? If it's long and floppy, you can try this thing... http://www.bucklebiters.com/order-now.html (I actually have an inch of pool noodle surrounded by painter's tape on my buckles, I give up on trying to have an attractive car anymore....), but that makes it a tad easier to buckle things up, at least for me, since the 5 yo I regularly lean over to buckle can't do it himself, either (my 7 yo took some practice for a month then got it just fine).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

No, the buckle parts of my seatbelts in the back seat have hardly any extra room. I'm lucky that they even stick out of the car seat at all! Alot of time they are so pushed in and I have to find the buckle and then try to buckle it. I checked where the shoulder belt comes out too and its on the actual back of the car seat so it is not adjustable either. So basically I spend time trying to buckle the seat (I have to actually 1/2 way climb in the car sometimes) and then once its buckled I have to grab the shoulder strap and pull it so that the belt is tight across my DS' lap and chest so that there is no slack. Complete PITA.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008