Default looking for user 'wellyes' - top tether install in Honda S2000?

I couldn't find a way to PM the original poster wellyes who had posted a couple of years ago in respect of installing a FF seat in a Honda S2000.

I also have an S2000, and while it will not be the primary mode of transport for our toddler, I may need to drive her in it occassionally.

I am looking to use a seat (Frontier 90 - just put this in my wife's car but did a test fit in the S2000 and it works well in the reclined position) that does not require the use of a top-tether (until 65lbs), but ideally I'd be able to find a method of attachment.

There does not appear to be a tether anchor installed from the factory (and one is not mentioned in the manual), but does a factory mounting point exist somewhere behind the rear seat?

While searches on S2000 forums haven't been helpful, I did read on an Acura NSX forum that the NSX has a factory attachment point in the sheetmetal behind the front seat to which the standard Honda tether bolt could be attached.

wellyes, were you able to find a pre-drilled attachment point in the S2000 or create a new one? Or did you instal the FF seat w/o a top tether?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Best regards,
    Phil

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Hi Phil, I emailed my husband about this and this was what he wrote:

I used the seat belt ratchet, not tethers.

Seat must be in all the way rear position, then tighten seat belt with ratchet until solid, then move seat forward on rails one position to get belt very tight. Only our carseat with no armrests was able to fit into the deep buckets.

We have a 2001, so there is no sensor in seat or seat belt buckle to identify child seat and deactivate airbag. Honda does not sell an airbag de-activation switch, although one can pay dealer to deactivate airbag. If a switch is wanted, has to be done via aftermarket.

I just made sure seat was almost all the way back to insure force is minimal

I think the FMVSS requires anything after 2005 to verify whether occupant is actually a child seat.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Hi Phil, I emailed my husband about this and this was what he wrote:

I used the seat belt ratchet, not tethers.

Seat must be in all the way rear position, then tighten seat belt with ratchet until solid, then move seat forward on rails one position to get belt very tight. Only our carseat with no armrests was able to fit into the deep buckets.

We have a 2001, so there is no sensor in seat or seat belt buckle to identify child seat and deactivate airbag. Honda does not sell an airbag de-activation switch, although one can pay dealer to deactivate airbag. If a switch is wanted, has to be done via aftermarket.

I just made sure seat was almost all the way back to insure force is minimal

I think the FMVSS requires anything after 2005 to verify whether occupant is actually a child seat.
    Many thanks for the response.

Best regards,
    Phil

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know the direct answer to your question but I highly recommend posting your question on http://car-seat.org and/or the facebook group Car Seats for the Littles. Many certified techs are available there and will be able to give you very specific advice about your car.

Airbag switches are very very difficult to get permission to add because of federal regulations.