Question Need Travel Crib Advice

I've combed several of the threads and read all about the P&T, BBJ, GoCrib & PeaPod...but am still undecided. My 1 yr old DS is a BIG baby and has long outgrown his PnP. I'm looking for something bigger to use for travel and at home when we use his room for guests. I even looked at a wooden portable crib, but no way would those travel well!

Judging by pictures of the P&T, BBJ & GoCrib- they all look too small for a baby that moves around in his sleep. I suppose I should also consider he'll be climbing soon & want to "get out" of whatever I put him in. Ugh.

What works for you? Thank you for your help!

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used the GoCrib with my DS1 until he was 28 months. Since then he is in a big boy bed at home so the next time we travelled he just slept in a regular bed. He couldn't get out of the GoCrib and had plenty of room to move.

I think the new P&T is the biggest travel crib but from the pictures it doesn't look very stable to me. Not sure though since I haven't seen it IRL.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

I am surprised that a one year old could have outgrown his PnP long ago. My DS slept in a PnP on vacation in Feb at age 3y5m. He is avg sized for ht & wt. Before we went away I asked about it here and several posters assured me their similarly aged kiddos were fine in PnPs.

But IRT your question as to which is the largest travel "crib", I think it would be the PeaPod Plus, it is for up to 6yo. However, I'm not sure that you can buy them right now (they were recalled in Nov '12, but they are supplying recall kits to correct the issue). Later you could go with a toddler air bed or a travel cot, but these are both rated 2+.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shrunks-Tu.../dp/B001EQ66WK
    http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Cot-Por...dp/B000H1MRJO/

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is your DS newly 1? I have the Peapod Plus, but I don't feel comfortable using it for a toddler under 18-24 months. I consider it more of a travle bed, than crib. We started using it with DS at 2 yo and he loved it. But not all kids do. It's also harder to keeo them contained in it if they fugure out the zippers.

I'm debating myself between the baby bjorn and the P&T for DD, since I don't want to put her in the Peapod yet. I think the P&T is slightly longer.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How exactly is your 1 YO outgrowing the PnP? Is he climbing out? I have an almost 2.5 year old who is taller than average and she sleeps in the PnP just fine. In fact we are staying with my IL's for 6 weeks this summer en route to our new home and she will sleep in the PnP there the whole time before going right back into her crib at the new house. My DS slept in one at 3.5 as well. I just can't imagine a 1 YO outgrowing it already....
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have P&T and love it. We used it several times last year with good results.

We are headed on a trip next month and just set it up to make sure that The Biscuit still fits. He is pushing 35 inches and over 31 pounds and fit just fine. He actually enjoys climbing in and out and popping his head out of the top. He does move a lot in his sleep, but I figure that we will set up in a corner and that will minimize and movement by the P&T.

Now if I could just find the darn piece that zips onto the top so that we can take P&T down to the beach . . .
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

My super tall, off the charts 3 yo still has plenty of space in her peapod plus. But I wouldn't use it for a baby that was less than say 16-18 months because I think it is too soft for younger kids.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Baby Bjorn travel crib and just stopped using it since my son is 3 1/2 and he will just use a bed now. It's definately smaller than a pack n play, but he is normal size and never had a problem sleeping in it! He could climb out, but it still gave us peace of mind during the night he wasn't rolling all around the room.... and he felt comfy and cozy in his travel bed. It was very sturdy actually! He definately moves around alot in his sleep - - but it's soft material sides, so it doesn't wake him or bother him if he rolls into the sides. it's great at containing him while asleep. Actually my older kids (5 & 7) used to climb in there all the time with him too....i too can't imagine a 1 year old would outgrow a pack n play or a travel crib? I'm actually sad that i will probably craigslist it now!

These are NOT the best pictures - but here we are cabin camping with it.... and my son is about 2.5 in this picture along with a 5 year old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 05-22-2013 at 12:42 PM.