Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which carseats/boosters to buy?

I am looking to purchase two carseats/boosters and could use some suggestions/advice . . .

Dd#1 is 7 and about 55 lbs and average height. Currently uses high back Greco booster - looking for something safer/more comfortable. We frequently go on long car trips and DD falls asleep in car.

DD#2 will be 5 and is about 37 lbs and average height. Currently in marathon but the seat has seen better days and I think she will outgrow it shortly. She also does not like that her friends baby sister is in same seat.

Two of the same seat if possible would make my life easier (no fighting). Is DD#1 to big for a 5 pt. harness? Possibly two frontier ( not sure which model)?

If I had the budget, I'd totally get two Frontier 90's. Super comfy, super easy to install, super easy to switch to booster mode.
    But also, if they can tolerate not matching, a Diono Monterey would be a good choice for your 7 yo, since she doesn't really need a harness...it's very comfy and good for long trips/sleeping. Frontier 85 is also no slouch of a seat, if your 5 yo sees a cover she would be happy to sit in, it's easy enough to install, and easy enough for kids to buckle in booster mode once they are about 7 and have long/strong enough arms to reach that far over to buckle. Parkway SGL is also a nice booster, if your older DD sees a cover she likes on THAT one.

Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks for the reply. Is it ridiculous to put 7 year old DD in a harnessed seat?

Not ridiculous at all. I guess there is no scientific proof that it is safer, but my gut feels that a harness must be safer than just a seatbelt, so why not use it.

Mine just came out of a harness at age 10, only because she outgrew the Frontier that we had and I can't justify buying the new Frontier to get another year in a harness at this age.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

I have not been able to see the frontier 90 in person - how wide is it? Any way I can fit two plus an extra booster for occasional carpooling in the back of a Volvo V 70?

Also, DH not that happy about the cost - especially for the 7 year old. do you guys really think harness is safer for DD1 to be harnessed? How long can I realistically keep her harnessed? My concern is mainly for 7 hour car trips where she is likely to fall asleep.

Any other seat suggestions? Thanks!

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

well, for long trips where the dc will be sleeping, i'm not sure any booster with a seat belt will keep her in the correct position. i'd go with 5pt harness. i do think the frontier is really wide (but no clue how big a golvo V70 is). you could check the max ht/wt of the frontier 90 and compare to the growth chart of your older dd to get a good idea of how long she could use it.

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Honestly, I do think a Frontier 90 is way overkill for the average 7 yo. If she sits well in a booster than I'd just get her a nice one. If she's falling asleep, I know my 7 yo does, then get a High Back with nice wings for head support. Lock the seatbelt if she needs a reminder not to wiggle around.

I mean, its fine if someone wants to harness their 7 yo and I'd never say anything bad about it, but its not at all necessary.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).

No, there's really no need for a FR for the 7 yo even for sleeping. A good highback is absolutely excellent for most kids sleeping, will keep them plenty upright. Diono Monterey is a really nice choice.
    It's going to be tight to get another person/seat back there with those big seats, but might be doable for a short trip.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Maxlee View Post
    I My concern is mainly for 7 hour car trips where she is likely to fall asleep.
    Honestly this is one reason we kept our daughter in a harness until she was 10. We drive to Florida every year for Christmas and are sometimes in the car for 9 to 12 hours a day. With the harness I didn't have to worry about her at all back there whether she was asleep or bored. Bored kids get into some unsafe positions sometimes.

now that she is in the booster I am constantly asking her "is the seatbelt through the red thing?" and the answer is usually "no". I suppose it will become a habit in time just like buckling her Frontier and checking the tightness was for her.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With a frontier, you could have her boostered for everyday and just pull out the harness for long trips. Way easier to switch between modes on the 90 (don't need to even uninstall, not that reinstalling is a big barrier since it takes about 30 seconds) but I don't believe it's too bad on the 85.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast