arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Frontier 85 Booster Questions

I converted DS's Frontier to a booster this weekend. I was considering getting him another Monterey and passing it down to DS2, but I would like to have the ability to harness again in the event we go on a long trip, plus DS2 still has a ways to grow in the Boulevard (gotta check the Roundabout he rides in DH's car). In comparison to the Monterey, the seat belt guide seems higher whereas the pacement seems just perfect over his shoulder with the Monterey. Is that ok? Also, I installed it with LATCH and while it is pretty solid, there is some movement at the belt path. Finally, I'm not sure that DS will be able to buckle himself. It's hard to pull the seatbelt and the base of the seat is so high that I think it will be pretty much impossible for him to buckle it. Is this normal?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Welcome to the annoying world of getting used to the FR as a booster. In time you'll find you can tolerate, even love it (We do, so I hope you do!)

All boosters have sort of different headrest alignment, just make sure the belt is on the shoulder, closer to the neck than the outside of the shoulder, tweak the height of the headrest, the height of the shoulderbelt anchors (if you can), and even the recline of the vehicle seat (if possible) to get everything looking like it should. And yeah, it's a booger to buckle, for most kids under 7 you're just going to have to lean over and help him (and it still took about a month for my 7 year old to figure it out...so frustrating!). If you have long buckle stalks, bucklebiters.com are cute, but I just cut an inch of pool noodle and clamped it around the strap under the buckle and wrapped the whole thing in painters tape/duct tape, to make the buckle stand up for easier buckling (if yours are down in the seat, never mind, just learn to reach). Worst part of learning is that you end up pulling it all the way out and it locks, it's a drag to have to unthread and unlock and rethread, but somehow Leah's learned to be quite delicate with pulling it out so it doesn't lock very often any more (I also push her captain's chair all the way back, that effectively lengthens the belt).
    No need to tighten the LATCH belt very much, just gently remove slack.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks Julie. I re-adjusted the height and sent you a pic so you can check the fit (if you don't mind!). I prefer the fit and ease of the Monterey, so now I am wondering if I should just give the Frontier to DS2 and get another Monterey for DS1. I sent you a PM with the pic. Thank you!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

...or yeah, just get another monterey... (That's the PS to my PM, lol).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

I decided to convert it back to a harnessed seat. I don't really like it much as a booster, so we will just get another Monterey in a year or so and hand down the Frontioer to DS2 at that point. Thanks for your help!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009