Default infant car seat to convertible seat

2 questions. I forgot the height rule for the infant seat. When is it time to purchase a convertible seat? Which leads into my second question. What convertible seats do you recommend? The Chicco Nextfit came highly recommended and seems to have good reviews but I thought I'd get some more feedback.

Thanks!

When the top of the head is about an inch from the top of the infant seat's shell. What seat do you have an how old/tall/heavy is your kiddo?

Nextfit is utterly divine to install and use, but can be kind of tall/bulky on the sides and might be hard to load a kid into it in a smaller car. Britaxes and Radians and Peg Perego and Clek Foonf are also really super nice
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    When the top of the head is about an inch from the top of the infant seat's shell. What seat do you have an how old/tall/heavy is your kiddo?

Nextfit is utterly divine to install and use, but can be kind of tall/bulky on the sides and might be hard to load a kid into it in a smaller car. Britaxes and Radians and Peg Perego and Clek Foonf are also really super nice

Thanks for the feedback! It'd be going in a SUV. Do you recommend certain styles of the car seats? I have to get my DS stats next appt but his last appt (1 month ago) weighed him at 18 lb 12 oz, 28.5 inches tall and he is 7.5 months though at that appt he was 6.5 months.

Depends on the SUV, some have small back doors so you have to kind of origami your kid into a seat, and some open nice and wide. Is it easy or hard to load your seat into the car now? (that's the best indication I can think of for what seat might be easiest to use later).
    What seat are you using now?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    Depends on the SUV, some have small back doors so you have to kind of origami your kid into a seat, and some open nice and wide. Is it easy or hard to load your seat into the car now? (that's the best indication I can think of for what seat might be easiest to use later).
    What seat are you using now?

there is no car seat in the car. I have a graco snugride in my car but my husband does not have a car seat in his car so this would be for his car.