Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Remedies for "Keratosis Pilaris" ?

Both DD and I have this skin condition -- Keratosis pilaris. It looks like "red bumps, nick named chicken skin. I feel so self conscious about it now that summer is here, and we both want to wear sleeveless tops. We both have it on our upper arms and inner thighs.

has anyone tried anything (with not too many chemicals) that could help this?

thanks
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I saw my derm at Mass General Hospital recently. He suggested I *TRY* a retinol prescription. I got it ($45 and no insurance coverage, supposed to last me a month!) but after a week I stopped using it. You have to put it on at night and wash it off in the morning and not get any sun on your arms (you can burn easily I guess). It just wasn't worth it to me and a retinol isn't that nice a chemical I don't think. Finally the doctor didn't think it would work for sure it was more of a hey this may help a little.

SORRY!

I have a lot of it on my arms as does DS1.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Going GF made mine go away. Some sites that indicate there may be a connection:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gluten+keratosis+pilaris
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

AmLactin lotion that you can get at CVS, Target, Costco will get rid of it temporarily. It was recommended by my Derm. I put it on backs of my arms & thighs daily and the KP is gone within a few days. It will come back if I don't use the AmLactin for a week or so. AmLactin is also great for rough spots on feet. I don't use it on DC but would like to know if anyone does b/c they have KP too.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't have KP diagnosis, but sometimes have gotten bumps on upper arms. AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion (contains 12% Lactic Acid (alpha hydroxy)) seems to help. I slather it on after bath.

Also, I recently started using the saluxcloth suggested here by some poster and I can see an amazing difference in how soft my skin feels.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Mine is finally better! Don't know if it was going gluten free, getting my vit D level up or the increased DHA.

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS and I both have KP. I have it on my upper arms. DS has it on his arms and cheeks.

DS's improved some when I started him on omega supplements. He still gets the bumps, but they don't seem to last as long. I also noticed an improvement when he was on Vit D supplements for a while, so I will probably start that up again.

I've tried several lotions and creams for mine over the years. None of then really helped and some aggravated my skin a lot. However, mine seems to improve as I age. Well, that and as I've gotten older i ve just become less self-conscious about it. That's probably not what you want to hear. Sorry.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I was coming back to post hoe AmLactin cream has saved me, but others beat me to it.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Another Amlactin devotee. You must keep up with it though.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

chiisai is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

DD has this. It did go away when we trialed GF. We're not GF right now, so she has it again.
    Deal-hunting mom to a 2006 and a 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast