Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Talk to me about cleaning hardwood floors

We just moved into a new house and it has a lot of wood flooring plus some miscellaneous laminate and one room with carpet.

At our old house I just used a broom to stop and would wash with wet rags sometimes.

But I'm now contemplating whether I should get something like a steam mop or vacuum.

Any recommendations or advice?

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

While loads of people seem to love their steam mops and I keep thinking about getting one, my floors have always done fine with regular vacuuming and hand damp mopping with a 50/50 mix of vinegar/water.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

I use Bona hardwood cleaner and mop. I just use the regular Bona mop, not the fancy one.
    Mommy to DS 2007

yup, Bona in a spray bottle and a mop with the soft pad.

another bona user.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We use bona too which works fine in the LR and DR but in our kitchen I never feel that it gets the floor clean enough.
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

I have a steam mop but I mostly use it in the kitchen and bathrooms. We have hardwood everywhere else and I use a Rubbermaid Reveal mop filled with Bona on the hardwood floors.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's a little unhealthy how much I *love* our Roomba. But using it frequently means I can easily get by with mopping only every 2 weeks or so. (I do clean up actual spills as they happen.) I use a mop that I can attach a microfiber cloth to, and put either Bona or vinegar/water in the container. I have this one http://www.amazon.com/LIBMAN-CO-4000...=lieberman+mop, although I like using a rag better than the pads - they attach with the same 'mechanism'.

If I were buying now I'd probably get this one because it has two bottles. http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Rev...maid+spray+mop

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hardwood floors need to be cleaned with very little water, the rags you use need to be damp, not wet. Steam mops could harm them in the long run, so I rarely use my steam mop on ours. We vacuum once or twice a week (I have a Miele), and use a broom to sweep between vacuumings in high traffic areas. We mop with Bona. But I've also used water with vinegar.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Clean by hand- vinegar and water mixture- we do HW about 1x/Mo and vacuum every few days- it is mainly hall and DR that is rarely used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast