Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Earlier wakings?

I guess it was 2 months ago that we Ferberized? It made a huge difference but I'm not sure what we have going on now. I do know that DS is getting in "all four molars" after taking him into the after hours care for what I thought was ANOTHER ear infection (big relief....yet I felt stupid as a mom of three taking him in for what turned out to be teething).

ANYWAY, he has started crying when being put down again, which is frustrating so we are essentially having to re-ferberize I guess. The problem is, he has been waking earlier and earlier every morning and won't go back to sleep. 4:30 this morning and when I let him cry it seemed like it wouldn't end so I got him out. It had been over 45 minutes which is longer than it took even at the beginning for us with Ferber. He is still waking at least once also, so later bedtime, still nursing at night and waking way earlier. Consequentially, his naps have been better but it's not worth it!

Any tips?

Oy! We had the early wakings, and they suck!!! I started cutting out the morning nap and just doing one nap at about 1-3, and that helped us. Then we actually tried an earlier bedtime, and that helped lots, too. A half hour earlier meant she wasn't as overtired, and she went down more easily and seemed to sleep later. DD's 14 months, though. I wouldn't go to a single nap with a much younger baby-- not under a year, probably, and I can't remember how old your little one is-- a bit younger than DD, right?

Also, I don't like to give medication, but teething hurts! A dose of ibuprofen at a night waking might help. When DD was teething, I'd sometimes give her a dose if she woke after 12am.

I have violated my own rule the past two nights to my detriment, but I don't nurse at night wakings EVER. I also stopped nursing at those early morning wakings, and I stopped taking her into my bed so I could get more sleep, which never worked anyway, because she's like a wildcat when she gets into my bed. She literally injures DH and me! When DD woke early, I did the timed Ferber thing, which worked for hour stretches (so I'd Ferberize at 4:30 to get to 6ish, and then I'd let the morning start.) if that hadn't worked, I think I'd NOT nurse until 7am (or whatever your wake-up time is). I'd jolt the schedule somehow-- earlier bedtime, different nap times, no nap until afternoon, no nursing until 7am.

I hope something works soon!!!

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I second the suggestion to medicate before bed and see if it helps ( pain may be why hes crying when initially layed down at night too).Molars rocked ( in a bad way) our sleeping world. After getting braces as an adult, I now realize the intense pain that goes along with moving teeth, and I don't hesitate to give a pain reliever if they appear to be in teething pain.

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How old is he?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotbaby View Post
    How old is he?
    This is an old thread bumped by a troll/spammer so no worries. DH just told me to put him back down regardless and we did finally get past the early wakings although he is still an earlier riser, barely making it to 6. We still have the issue of poop ALWAYs waking him and he is furious when I have to change him because I think he is really still tired.