Default Kids tore up the styrofoam - can I still use the seat?

Our sitter is out of town this week so our former sitter is watching the boys. On Friday, we pulled the carseats out of the sitter's car so that we could install in Sitter B's car on Monday night.

Saturday morning, I was sorting laundry and I heard the kids playing in the dining room...but it didn't dawn on me that I should be concerned about the carseats.

Anyway, DH walked in and found styrofoam pieces ALL OVER the floor. This was in our classic MA. Basically they pulled the cover up right at the base of the seat (where their knees hang over when FF) and they broke out about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the styrofoam. Can I use this seat now? I'd take a picture, but I dropped (and broke) our camera on Thursday.

The piece the kids tore up is actually shown in the manual - I'm attaching it, and I circled it in green. Instead of being flush or nearly flush with the plastic shell, it is about 1/2 an inch back from the shell. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

You can use the seat, and call Britax for a replacement foam (people used to always throw these out by accident!)
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    You can use the seat, and call Britax for a replacement foam (people used to always throw these out by accident!)
    Thanks Jools! I thought that might be the case. I was actually laughing (and cringing) when it happened, because I was pretty sure that I remembered hearing that people threw them out pretty often.

Of all the things to happen to our seats I could have NEVER predicted that! I even put them against the wall so that if the kids sat in them they wouldn't tip over....
    Last edited by BabbyO; 05-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

I always sort of chuckle at the 'do not let kids play on the carseat in the house' warnings in the manuals, but then things like this always seem to happen. Sigh. Kids.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2 View Post
    I always sort of chuckle at the 'do not let kids play on the carseat in the house' warnings in the manuals, but then things like this always seem to happen. Sigh. Kids.
    Yeah - the irony is that Peanut has been resisting the carseat at all costs lately - so I thought there was no way he'd want to play with it, but he was the initiator - maybe he was trying to get back at the seat for holding him down in the car!

I spoke to Britax yesterday and they sent me an email so I could get them pics and my info. They'll be replacing the broken piece.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    maybe he was trying to get back at the seat for holding him down in the car!

I spoke to Britax yesterday and they sent me an email so I could get them pics and my info. They'll be replacing the broken piece.

Glad they are taking care of things
    Julie

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The same thing happened to one of DD#1's Frontiers. I had taken it out to wash the cover and put back into harness mode prior to selling on Craigslist. I called Britax and they shipped a new piece out. They knew which piece based on model # and manufacture date. They waived the shipping, but the piece itself costs $13.00 I believe.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    The same thing happened to one of DD#1's Frontiers. I had taken it out to wash the cover and put back into harness mode prior to selling on Craigslist. I called Britax and they shipped a new piece out. They knew which piece based on model # and manufacture date. They waived the shipping, but the piece itself costs $13.00 I believe.
    Wow, this surprises me. I asked if there was a charge and the CS rep said as long as the seat hadn't expired they'll send it free of charge. They took my info - asked for shipping address, model #, batch, and DOM, and a photo of the damage/piece and said I'd be receiving a new one shortly.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)