JenaW is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Carrier help for trip next week

I posted a similar q in the lounge. We are leaving wed for a few days in DC then a week at the beach. I was planning on using our Phil and teds double for the 5 mos old and 2 yo old but also have a Moby for the baby when we are on the metro or if the 4yo gets tired. However, when we went hiking last weekend, she was less than thrilled at being folded up in it. Any suggestions for something I can buy IRL or online that would be delivered by wed?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd get an ergo. It suits your needs and is pretty widely available. I started wearing my boys in it around four months and continued with a back carry through age three.

Our target carries them or you can buy one online at amazon with prime.

Eta: you might also try craigslist to get one quickly. Our CL usually has a few but the used price isn't much less than new.
    Last edited by mikala; 06-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a Performance Ergo that I love for hot weather because it is lighter weight. It's super hot in DC right now.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

I couldn't get the ergo to work until dd was seven months and she was a big baby who was able to hold her head up early.

I'd get a freehand Mei tai for the trip. Lightweight, easy to pack and I find mine super comfortable with a baby that age.

Cafherine

ABO Mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another vote for ergo, mainly because they are more widely available, so you should be able to pick one up in a store before your trip. Do try it on at home first, so you can play around with it, and get the straps adjusted for yourself.

Moby is waaaay too hot, and not supportive enough for older babies.

I love the versatility of the Ergo, but I didn't get one until Peanut was 1 yo. But it has been great because with a few minor adjustments I can go from carrying Peanut (20 mo) to carrying Stachio (almost 4 yo). I first used it when the boys were 1 yo and 3 yo.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS2 is a tiny peanut and I've been carrying him comfortably in the Ergo Performance since 3 months, with no infant insert.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love my ergo. But, I also loved the moby when DS2 was little. Have you tried your DD in it with her legs out rather than scrunched out? Maybe she wouldn't mind it then.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

I wore DD1 and DD2 in an Ergo when they were about 4 or 5 months old but I have big kids with strong necks.

Keep in mind it gets really hot in DC this time of year and you will be sweltering in a Moby. Ergo has a sports carrier that I think is supposed to be more breathable. If you have a smaller baby, I have heard good things about Becco and Piccolo (pardon spellings)
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012