Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default if you lost weight on the whole30 or similar paleo diet how much?

I am into my 3rd full day of the whole 30 and about 6 days into a close to whole30 diet (I tried to on ramp to it by cutting out some stuff early on).

So far I've lost ~5 lbs. Not a total shock as I had been eating a LOT before but still seems significant. Still it was fast. I am def eating but no alcohol is for sure a big calorie decrease.

If you did the whole30 did you lose weight? if so how much?

PS I know you are not supposed to weigh yourself but that just isn't happening. I am a weigh yourself 1-2x a day gal.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

daisysmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think I lost about 10 lbs. maybe from heaviest to lightest it was more like 12. I am also a weigher and I think from my heaviest at 7 pm to lightest one morning, it was about 12 lbs.

What I lost first, and sounds like you are too, is the bloat and inflammation. While some call that "water weight"' it is not meaningless. The carbs and sugar and grains I would eat would literally cause my tummy to beat, my face to be "puffy" and all over I just looked fuller. I think in day 4 or 5, I really noticed that change- that I no longer had that feeling. I was eating just as many calories or maybe more on whole30 but these ones don't inflame me.

Now I will be honest, for the last month or so, I have had a hard time with sweets and the weight has crept back - as of this last weekend,I had gained back 3 lbs. I feel gross tho--- to be honest, it feels a lot worse than 3 lbs. but I am pretty sure that as I buckle down (was strict today and will be for next three weeks, at least), that I will drop some lbs pretty soon. I have never been confident about losing weight in my life, but I know this program works for me. So I let myself have some "fun" the past few weeks and played around to see if dessert was doable in moderation for me (it want, I could never be satisfied with a little) and I am back on track. I am pretty sure I can lose 7 lbs of bloat in 3 weeks. In 3 weeks I go to the beach for a week with a ton of extended family, so I need to give some serious thought about what foods and meals will be worth a splurge.

Two guys on my hall at work also did whole30 kind of. Neither were very heavy. One guy did it but allowed himself beer and vodka at night. He has lost 28 lbs since feb 1. Another guy just did it last month and allowed himself one glass of red wine a night. He lost 13 in a month.

A very good friend of mine who has 10 lbs to lose did it last month and she gained weight, was verily frustrated, never felt great. I watched her closely and best I can tell in lots of conversations, her mistake was snacking on nuts. While calories in calories out is nt the paleo logic, you do need (I believe after reading a lot) 5 hrs or so bt meals to be one fat adapted and en outrage your body to not release insulin and do what it needs to with leptin and the other hormones and burn fat.

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I also lost 12 pounds in the month of doing the whole 30, and DH lost 9. He had a lot less weight to lose than me, and loses weight more easily. I did lose a bunch of it at the beginning of the 30 days, then lost the rest more slowly, which is fine, as it's healthier and more sustainable in the long run.

We're kind of doing an 80/20 or 70/30 whole30 type eating right now. We're being really good during the week, and allowing ourselves a bit more flexibility on weekends, not going crazy, but not freaking if we have a beer or a few carbs. So far, no gaining back, but I would not step on the scale this morning because I had sushi at lunch yesterday, and I don't want to know what all that rice did, LOL.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I do a "whole 6", never made it past 6 days but I lost 6.5 pounds in that time.

Although I guess it does depend on how much weight you have to lose.

Congrats!
    Mama to 3

I'm down 8ish lbs so far (and really a lb or 2 away from goal-currently 132 would like to be 130 lbs). I did have a nasty gastro bug last weekend and ate a lot of toast and some tea with sugar but was SO glad to go back to paleo! Bread did not agree with me! But I couldn't stomach meat/eggs/veggies either so...
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

I am 12 days in and 10 lbs down. FREAKY I am going to try to eat more -- don't want to lose quite that much so fast.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

How's it going lady?
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

still at 10 lbs or so (I added some calories back). I don't mind it -- another 9 days and I am done!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    still at 10 lbs or so (I added some calories back). I don't mind it -- another 9 days and I am done!

What was your end result? How are you feeling? I am starting again!
    Mama to 3

I lost ~10 lbs and since am down maybe another 2 lbs. I really don't need to lose. I feel a lot better. Got off a lot of sugar. I added a little dairy back and cannot eat large volumes or raw veggies but aside from that I haven't changed much. (Raw veggies kill my digestion.)
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast