TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Insurance related vents

I'm so annoyed right now, I just need to vent. I've had two pregnancy-related insurance encounters during the past week that have rubbed me the wrong way.

1. I called the insurance company's "maternity services" department to enroll in their program. As I recalled from my previous pregnancy, once I enrolled, they simply sent me a packet of info containing basic pregnancy and postpartum info, how to get reimbursements for classes and breast pumps, numbers to call if I needed anything, etc. I finally got around to calling for this pregnancy, and ended up getting a battery of questions that the rep said were "to help provide me with information specific to my pregnancy." Ugh. All I wanted was info about reimbursements. The rep asked me if my last pregnancy was full term, and I said no. She then asked me if I was taking 17-progesterone this pregnancy. What the what now? She automatically assummed that because my prior pregnancy ended early, it was because of preterm labor (it was not). And it's not any of her business anyway. Thank you, lady, for making an A$$ out of yourself and getting me all prickly.

2. I am currently appealing charges for pregnancy-related lab work done in MAY. Standard pregnancy panel of approximately 20 tests for genetic diseases that are more common for people of my ethnic background. The insurance company is claiming that two of the 20 tests are "experimental" and therefore not covered. It's a freaking PANEL, the doctor can't tell the lab to only run x number of tests out of the panel. The lab runs the panel as a whole. So now they need me to contact my doctor's office and have them send my medical records so they can determine if the panel was, in fact, "medically necessary." Apparently the number of tests in the panel has grown since I was pregnant with DD, since I don't recall this being an issue then.

Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

tabegle is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Insurance can be such a PITA! Sorry!

Ugh!!! I'm sorry! What a PITA!