Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default She's here!!!... **update #9** with more pics!

UPDATE #9: in comments. Final update because we're home!!

UPDATE #8: update in comment #172 with pictures!

UPDATE#7: update in comment #147 (couldn't post any more pics here).

UPDATE #6:

So far so good. No news is good news. We're just trying to get her to gain some weight. She's down to 2lb 13oz from 2lb 15oz and they're beginning her on supplements in my BM to raise the caloric content. She's tolerated two feeds on that so hopefully she'll start gaining weight a bit more quickly. I'm managing to just keep up to her intake with my pumping and hopefully she doesn't surpass me. Although if she does at least there's still the donor milk.

Other than that, she has her cranial ultrasound on Wednesday but the doc said it was just for screening purposes. He said she hadn't been exhibiting any symptoms that would be a cause for concern.

Here she is with Daddy on Father's Day, as well as a nice close up (my fave pic of her now).

Thanks again ladies for all your P&PT!! They've helped immensely seeing so much love for my little girl!!

UPDATE #5:

We got some great news yesterday. The doctors are so pleased with her progress that they have moved her from the high level NICU hospital to a hospital closer to home. Normally this hospital doesn't deliver babies before 32 weeks, so she is the youngest baby in there at the moment at 30w3d. But all the nurses are very impressed with how well she's doing. She is breathing completely unassisted at the moment and keeping her O2 sats at a great level. The only issue she's had so far are a couple elevated bilirubin levels and so she's been under the light a couple times now. We're praying she continues to do as well as she has been. Here she is minus the breathing tubes enjoying some kangaroo care time.

UPDATE #4:

Thanks everyone. We are so incredibly in love and enamoured by her. She got her cpap mask off today as she's been breathing room air since birth. Now she just has nasal canulas which means we can see more of her beautiful face and full head of hair.

American_mama: I was going to speak to my OB about delayed clamping at my next visit, but it turns out it's now the standard here. I was so thrilled the doc brought it up in the delivery suite as a possibility if she came out and could handle the delayed minute without any medical attention (which she did no problem).

As far as I understand they like to keep preemies in the NICU until they are considered full term, which means she will likely be there for the next 6-7 weeks. Now it's all about establishing a routine of pumping and visiting her. So far, I've managed to spend the better part of two days with her at the hospital, and I already can't wait to see her tomorrow.

Here she is without her mask and sprawled out .

UPDATE #3: She's here!!!

A few hours after my second update the cramps began to really come on strong. They felt much more like the ones I felt that brought me into L&D earlier in the week. So they hooked me up to the monitor and as I'd thought they were coming more regularly and getting stronger. And her heart rate was decelerating with each contraction. They told me this is because my fluid level was low-normal so each squeeze of the uterus was causing her to push against her umbilical cord. After 3 decelerations they rushed me up to a delivery suite where it was determined that I was 8cm already. And from that moment on everything went very quickly. I arrived in the delivery suite at 3pm, started pushing at 4:15, and she was born at 4:39. I opted for no meds which I definitely regretted for just the moment she crowned. But otherwise it was ok. She tried her hardest to breathe and cry on her own, and she did so well for those first moments that they even managed to delay clamping so she'd get the max benefit from her cord blood.

So, here she is. Madeline Elizabeth born on June 8, 2013 @ 4:39pm, weighing 2lb 15oz, at a gestation of 29w5d.

UPDATE #2:

The meds wore off yesterday afternoon and all went well through the night. Started getting some cramps this morning but they're not as bad as they were on Tuesday/ Wednesday. Guess it's just a wait-and-see game now. I'm to let them know if they get more regular and more intense. Fingers crossed this just stays put. OB said if things continue with just mild cramping, I may go home tomorrow or Monday, but will be closely monitored on their Ante-Natal home program.

Thanks again ladies for all the wonderful success stories. They help more than I can say.

UPDATE:

All went well through the night. I slept with no signs of contractions. Had some this morning but they were super mild. Little girl has been very active, in particular when they try to monitor her or when I went for the ultrasound. Ultrasound shows her weighing just under 3lbs, and apparently that's good for my gestation. Fluid levels showed low-normal but all my ultrasounds have shown that. They did an exam to check if I was leaking any fluid, and that came back negative so no rupture. If I had been leaking, I would have been placed on antibiotics. OB doesn't seem concerned about fluid level. Got my second steroid shot this morning yay! So as long as I make it to tomorrow morning at least, then they can do their job. I'll be taken off the meds to slow labour tomorrow so we'll see what happens then. They haven't checked my dilation since yesterday as they don't want to keep going in there in case it aggravates anything. Tomorrow and the next day will be the critical days to see if she wants out.

Thank you sooooo much for all the prayers and thoughts. It means the world to me knowing so many are sending good vibes to my baby girl. And all the reassuring stories are great. You ladies are amazing on this forum!!

I'll keep updating as I can.

----------------------

So I started cramping yesterday morning but had been constipated all weekend so thought that must be what was causing it. And after last night of more intense, more regular cramps I was sent to L&D this morning. When I got here I was 3-4cm already. They transferred me by EMS to the hospital in Calgary that takes babies before 32 weeks. As soon as I got here they checked again and said I was 8cm. Things moved quick at that point. Got to the delivery suite could see all the gear ready for delivery, and I guess the suppository they gave me to slow labor finally kicked in. The OB re-checked me and said I was closer to 5-6cm (as opposed to what the nurse practitioner said), and that they were moving me to another unit since labor was slowing not accelerating. Now the contractions come like every 1-2hours .

Neonatologist has decided to put me on the same med, orally, for 48 hours to allow for a second dose of steroids to help baby's lungs. After that they can't give me more of the drug as long term use can cause issues with baby's kidneys.

So for now we're on a 48 hour hope and wait that she can get the help she needs before coming into this world. Doc thinks i'll likely deliver after going off the meds because I'm already 5-6 cm with my membranes bulging. I guess we're also hoping that my membranes don't rupture before the 48 hrs so as not to put me in labor.

Prayers and thoughts are welcome. Thanks ladies!! I'm 29+2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spannaz; 08-02-2013 at 02:48 PM.

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sending you PTs!!
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Sending PT your way! Keep us updated.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lots of prayers for you and your little one. Hang in there just a little longer sweet baby!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Lots of P&PT for you and your little girl.
    Lizi

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With my first I went into labor at about the same point--29 1/2 weeks. He stayed in there for a couple more weeks and arrived at just shy of 32 weeks. P & PT that your LO stays put a bit longer so she can get stronger.

My DS is almost 9 and is completely healthy.

DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

prayers!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

sending my prayers!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989
    DD#1 11/23/05
    DD#2 12/9/10
    DD#3 9/4/13

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

P & pt!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

P & PT that your little one stays put a bit longer! Keep us posted!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast