Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default female Lego mini-figures (check this out!!)

I cannot express how awesome i think this is. Basically there is this chick trying to get Lego to make more sets with female figurines, which are traditionally male roles (paleontologist, scientists, astronaut, construction worker, firefighter, etc). Supposedly if they get enough supporters (10,000) Lego will agree to make these proposed sets w/ these figures.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/15401

Like I said, looking over all these sets, i cannot get over how cool i think this is. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat. Growing up my brother and I were very much into Legos and it always irked me how all the figures for the space sets, police, mechanic/car garage sets were all male. Grr. The kids do have a ton of Duplos and like to play with them, and i noticed that while we have a few firetruck sets, and a construction sets, and while they have introduced people of color (yay, Lego), the figures are all still male. :S We do have a zookeeper that is a lady though, as my DS pointed out the other day (yes, even at 3yo they notice these things).

anyway, i couldn't get over the awesomeness of this. i love love the chemist and astronomer one, as well as the mechanic one, and the judge. if these get produced, i'd be tempted to buy my DC all of these.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.

That's very cool!

Maybe some female criminals in the advent calendars next year?

Love the chemist and engineer, especially! Thanks for sharing!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is super cool, and finally put my finger on why the Lego Friends line bugs me. I love the idea of working more female minifigures into the "regular" Lego lines in a matter-of-fact way, because that's the way the world is. As adorable as some of the Friends sets are, I don't like that they're presented in such a way as to signal that they're different, special, and not for boys. They just reinforce gender segregation in toys.

Anyway, I joined that site just to support this project. I'd buy all of these sets for my kids.
    Last edited by anonomom; 06-07-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    This is super cool, and finally put my finger on why the Lego Friends line bugs me. I love the idea of working more female minifigures into the "regular" Lego lines in a matter-of-fact way, because that's the way the world is. As adorable as some of the Friends sets are, I don't like that they're presented in such a way as to signal that they're different, special, and not for boys. They just reinforce gender segregation in toys.
    Yes, i totally agree! I can't say how much it bothers the heck out of me that at TRU, the kitchen/dolls signs are all pink with the girly toys, and the science kits, trains, are all blue with "boys" stuff. Shaking my head here.

Very cool! I would definitely buy these sets. The garbage truck did come with a female minifig. And we have 2 others I think.

FWIW, my kids play Legos together...mini figs and lego friends play side by side. However, since they are different sizes, the friends can't ride in the regular lego vehicles.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Awesome! I just joined to support and shared on FB. Hope to see these in stores!
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

i supported and reposted on my facebook. my favorites are paleontologist, chemist and JUDGE (we always have said that our daughter has a supreme court justice name )

i'd probably buy them all we DO like lego friends. my daughter LOVES them... and i'm cool with it because , eh, it has my 5 year old following step by step instructions , working on spatial skills, becoming engrossed in an activity for a LONG time, having a sense of accomplishment, and then in the end playing imaginatively with her creation. she also takes the extra parts available and MUST make something, and then she'll take the creation apart and "do her own thing"-- that's alot of play/learn/work value in one toy, even if it's marketed specifically to girls

that said... my child is five. and five year olds are gender-biased. it's a natural deal. girls like girls and boys like boys. i'm cool. before i know it , she'll like boys right? and then , worse problems more career characters that look like her? totally great. she LOVES digging for dinosaurs and doing science experiments. she already negotiates and presents arguments like a little lawyer. so-- bring on the minifigures!

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post

Anyway, I joined that site just to support this project. I'd buy all of these sets for my kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Yes, i totally agree! I can't say how much it bothers the heck out of me that at TRU, the kitchen/dolls signs are all pink with the girly toys, and the science kits, trains, are all blue with "boys" stuff. Shaking my head here.

I joined & tweeted it, too. I've got a few moms of girls on my feed who might love the idea of this project as much as we do.

DD absolutely ADORES LEGO and taking her to our "local" LEGO store is a huge treat. She spent nearly 2 hours with the "build your own MiniFigures" stand the last time we were there ... and nearly another hour at the play table just building a wall with me.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Seitvonzu View Post
    ......that said... my child is five. and five year olds are gender-biased. it's a natural deal. girls like girls and boys like boys. i'm cool. before i know it , she'll like boys right? and then , worse problems more career characters that look like her? totally great. she LOVES digging for dinosaurs and doing science experiments. she already negotiates and presents arguments like a little lawyer. so-- bring on the minifigures!

I love all of those sets! My DD1 is 7 and she is all over Lego Friends and I don't have a gender issue with them at all. At 7 yrs. old as well it is still very gender based too and my DD wants girl Legos vs. boy Legos although she really does like the Lego Ninjago show, Ninja Turtles, Transformers, and Star Wars but rarely if ever admits that to the boys or the girls in her class.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast