Default Beco Butterfly - Need Help!!!

I have a Beco Butterfly from 2008. I never liked it and barely used it. I want to try it again with DS3 who is 2 weeks old but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it. I searched online for instructions but can't find any for this model. Mine has the infant insert attached. Can someone please help me?! I'm desperate and tired of holding this kid!!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have the butterfly 2....not sure the differences...what is the problem? Can you figure out how to get it on yourself....or is it getting the baby in it or is it adjusting that's not working?

I can't figure out how to get the baby in it! If I'm remembering correctly, I think you lay the carrier down and put the newborn in it and then put the entire carrier on, but I'm not sure if that's right. I tried doing it while it was on and that seemed wrong, like I couldn't squeeze him in it. Any videos that I've found were for a newer model with a detachable infant insert.

I think the old one and the "new" one are similar but with the new one you can remove the infant insert. I had the butterfly 2 for a little while, but I got rid of it because there was just too much going on. If I remember correctly, the baby is between the main carrier and the infant part. You put the baby in first then put on the carrier. It was just way too complicated for me.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I think the old one and the "new" one are similar but with the new one you can remove the infant insert. I had the butterfly 2 for a little while, but I got rid of it because there was just too much going on. If I remember correctly, the baby is between the main carrier and the infant part. You put the baby in first then put on the carrier. It was just way too complicated for me.
    I think the attached insert and the detachable one function basically the same so if you watch the videos for the current version it should clarify things. You can either put them in and then put it on (usually easier for beginners) or stick them in with it on.

FWIW, I found the Beco hard to use with a little baby. I much prefer the Gemini or a wrap or a ringsling. Do you have a babywearing group that holds meetings near you? Or a natural parenting store near you? I bet they would be happy to help, if you give them a call. Or let you try out some things that might work better. (Many Babywearing groups have lending libraries.)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, I think you lay the carrier down and put the newborn in it and then put the entire carrier on, but I'm not sure if that's right.
    I always laid the carrier down on the couch, laid the baby on the carrier and pulled the infant insert portion through their legs, buckled it and then picked up the baby and the carrier and put it on. I watched many youtube videos, I'll see if I can find one...wait, now that I'm looking, I have the butterflyII, so maybe I'm of no help. Does the fact that the insert doesn't detach make a difference in putting in on?

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I liked the Beco a lot for little babies because I could secure them first. The easiest way was for me to lay the baby inside the infant section then put it on and adjust it to me. I agree that watching videos of the Butterfly2 for infant use should help.

The Beco is more complicated but thats because it has more adjustments so can fit better. We really prefer it for back carries too since you can buckle an older child in before picking them up. Much less intimidating than the other solo back carry options.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011

Thank you all for the tips, I figured it out with your help! I still don't like this carrier, haha, but baby was content in it and it freed my arms so I was able to get some stuff done. I'll tolerate it for now! Thx again!