Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default what (closed-toe) shoes to wear with skirts/skorts/dresses (to work)??

Need serious help here. I have a couple Athleta Dipper Skorts and Whatever Skorts that i've always really liked and i think my workplace is casual enough for me to start wearing them to work (Bettona pants, and Dipper pants have been my staple, but as it's getting close to 100F, they're not as appealing )

the problem is, i don't have any good shoes to wear with skorts/dresses. last summer I was a SAHM so mostly just wore flip-flops with them ..but i think that is way too casual for work, plus IMO i sometimes think it looks a little dumpy..i'd love something a bit more "dressier".

the (huge problem): i hate wearing heels. Don't get my wrong, I loove the look of them, i think they LOOK awesome, but I just cannot wear them for 8 hours a day, especially if 3-4 hrs i am standing/walking. Now that it's summer i see a lot of women at work wear heely sandals or pumps without hose with dresses/skirts, but i just can't pull that off..i work in a lab often (not just sitting at a desk), and i have knee issues and i just don't want to go down that road.

So, i don't know what is left. At work with pants i usually wear Dansko clogs or sometimes even sneakers. But with skorts or dresses, that obviously doesn't work. I think it is the lack of socks/tights thing....in the winter i wore corduroy skirts all the time, and just wore tights/hose with mary janes. But in the summer, when i don't want to wear socks/tights, i'm just stumped on what shoes to wear. So are there any options?? I'd be willing to pay anything to find something that works!!! It's just so frustrating not being able to wear half my wardrobe bc i can't find a single pair of shoes to wear. And i'm not that picky (i swear! )

The other challenge is that the shoes have to be easily worn without socks, but have to be breathable and not make my feet sweat...i did find a pair of cute Crocs flats for super cheap a few mnths back,and i thougjt that solved my problem, but after wearing them for 2 hours i felt my feet were sweating up a storm and they started itching! Argh...

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Could Toms work? I wear mine with skirts and dresses.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would think TOM's would be perfect in your climate if they work for you.

2nd-ing the ballet slippers or skimmers. Or a Mary Jane that isn't too sporty...something that has kind of a narrow-er profile I think works better with skirts, shorts.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i think a simple ballet flat would be perfect! (or the Toms, love that look)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Depends on your style if you could pull it off - but something like this?

http://www.zappos.com/skechers-gowal...black-hot-pink

http://www.zappos.com/skechers-go-wa...ngineered-navy

I dress *very* casually for work, but have to have closed toe/heel, and ballet flats are too open to work as well. These fit the requirements, and are incredibly comfortable. (I have the first pair.) They come in other colors as well, and I think a few other 'not tennis shoes' styles too.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thanks everyone! i will look into Toms for sure. where do you typically buy them?? sadly, i really can't order shoes online..i have weird-shaped feet, wear a size 9-9.5, sometimes i need a wide so i always have to try stuff on first..other wise it's a 95% probability i have to send stuff back and i dont' want to deal with waiting, paying return shipping, etc. i tried looking at find a retailer and it says Whole Foods sells them?? any other B&M store that is a good place that might have a decent selection?

those sketchers look cute, too.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nordstrom. Good return policy, good selection.

I'm with you OP on trying on shoes before purchase. I have never purchased a pair of shoes online - browsed yes, bought no.

Stores I like are Nordstrom, Nordies Rack and DSW. Specific brands that are super comfy for me at 8.5W are Franco Sarto and Steve Madden. Both brands are stylish and offer variable heel heights so even with a pump or wedge you can go kitten height instead of full-on platform. Enzo Angelini are also comfortable but tend to be more pricey and a little more delicate, both in styling and for moderate-heavy wear.

I've had the requirement to wear close toed, durable shoes for work before too and it is a pain unless you go super sporty or just very functional (merrells and danskos fall into this category IMHO). You end up wearing the same 2-3 pairs over and over, but if they're quality, you just keep re-soling them or in some cases, buying duplicate pairs in different colors (black, camel, brown etc).
    DS 2014

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just FYI.... Zappos has free shipping both ways, and you have 365 days to return. I almost always buy two sizes and send one back. My account is credited within 24 hrs of them receiving the return.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typing errors I've made, and auto correct 'fixes' I missed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast