Thread: Need BF advice

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Need BF advice

DD is almost 10 months old and nurses about 8 times a day. (All initiated by me, she takes in very little solids, mostly because I don't want her to fill up too much on solids and not get sufficient BM, but I still initiate nursing sessions).

My question is what is an appropriate number of nursing sessions for this age and onward and what is the appropriate amount of solid food?

DS was very different in that he ate a lot more solids early and nursed a lot less and when I weaned him at 13 months I am almost positive that he wasn't getting very much if any BM during nursing sessions.

With DS I pumped 2 times during my 8 hour shift and stopped pumping at around 10 months because it wasn't worth my effort to pump out 2 oz of milk. With DD I pump 3 times during my 8 hour shift and am still pumping and getting a little more than what she drinks while I am gone.

Should I be reducing the number of pumping sessions at work or should I just leave it be.

I would really like to continue to nurse her past a year morning and night, but I am afraid that my supply will drop significantly if I drop any nursing sessions or pumping sessions.

What do you guys think?

(Sorry this rambles so badly?)
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Simon is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My kids have all followed very different patterns. Ds1 was nursing a lot at 10 mo, probably 8x a day, and he moved down to about 4 times a day by 16 mo (am, before nap, after nap, before bed). He really wasn't eating many solids before 14mo, so he was nursing for a lot of his calories.

Ds3 eats solids a lot better and he nurses about 4-5x a day now at 16 mo (am, before nap, after nap, 5-5:30 pm, bedtime). He has food allergies so I am counting on the breastmilk to fill in gaps in his diet.

Its true that my supply has dropped when I cut out pumping sessions if its not replaced by nursing. But I find that fewer nursing sessions tends to mean they eat more milk less often but I don't feel its harmed my supply.
    Ds1 (2006). Ds2 (2010). Ds3 (2012).