Thread: Donating BM

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Donating BM

Ok so in my zealousness to keep up my BM supply unlike last time I have somehow amassed a huge quantity of frozen BM, like hundreds of ounces.

I know people have mentioned donating, how would I go about finding someone?

TIA
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I tried donating through a milk bank but since at one point during my BFing career at the time had taken supplements for my supply I didn't qualify. After that I went on Facebook and found my local chapter of Eats on Feets, which is now Human Milk for Human Babies. I posted about what I had and was contacted by a woman whose baby needed it. Good luck and awesome for you for having such a great supply and looking to share it!!
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

jennilynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Try searching for a milk bank here: https://www.hmbana.org/
    I donated over 100 ounces with my last baby and the process was really easy. I called and the milk bank quickly shipped the paperwork to fill out, as well as collection bottles (which I didn't really need, since most of mine was already in bags.) I did give a blood sample, and they had other restrictions like your baby can't be over 1 year old and the milk can't be over 6 months old if frozen. But overall, it was really easy and I'm glad I didn't just throw it all away. You could also ask around at a local baby store, midwife practice or mommy group and see if there is an informal milk sharing group.
    Slightly crunchy mama to three awesome monkeys

When I donated BM, I had a tiny stash. It wasn't enough to donate to a milk bank. But I was able to find a family through Milk Share: http://milkshare.forumotion.com/