Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default daily home OT for regulation

DS has Autism and has a lot of sensory processing challenges. He can be quite tactile defensive and afraid of certain movements but is also a big oral sensory seeker and also seeks deep pressure in his body and head to the extent of wanting to crash into things and people. Most of the times he is able to hold it together in school but I also want him to not have it esp if there is something I can do at home or provide something for school that can help him. He also has core strength issues which make him very floppy at the end of the day, unable to sit during closing circle or do the projects at school. For that I sent him to school with a wiggly cushion although they are yet to use it. I also provide a chewy for oral sensory regulation.

I was wondering if there were specific exercise routines that I can do that might help him. OT does a lot of swings, balance type of activities with him to build his core strength and also for his sensory regulation. But I don't have swings at home, and I don't know if the effect of any of these activities lasts as long as 3 hours later. Or what would the most effective. here is my current equipment at home:
    - trampoline
    - exercise ball
    - peanut exercise ball
    - bean bags
    - compression and weighted vest
    - bike

thanks...

Are you looking for things to do in the morning before school? Yoga might be a possibility. As a more general matter, lots of kids who like deep pressure like swimming.

Catherine

He is not disciplined or coordinated enough to do yoga. That would be a full time activity to take up. for swimming, we can't do it every morning.
    And yes, I am looking to do something every morning for a good start to the day, hopefully more regulated than without anything.

Have you tried looking at the book "the out of synch child has fun" ? It's all at home sensory work

Sent from my iPad
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by bullkin View Post
    He is not disciplined or coordinated enough to do yoga. That would be a full time activity to take up. for swimming, we can't do it every morning.
    And yes, I am looking to do something every morning for a good start to the day, hopefully more regulated than without anything.
    I'll second the Out of Sych Child has Fun.

And you might be surprised with the yoga. Ds took yoga from an OT for a while at age four and did quite well (he was coordinated but not at all "disciplined").

You might, or might not, find that swimming a couple of times a week when you can fit it in (not necessarily in the morning) helps things all around. As I recall there is some idea that meeting sensory needs regularly has an overall longer term positive effect, not just a short term one.

How does he feel about play dough? That seems easy to work into the morning routine so it might be worth a try.

Catherine

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS has low tone and sensory issues. Core strength issues have been on ongoing difficulty for him. We finally got it written into his IEP that he needs an exercise session every day to strengthen his core.

His teacher told me about this website: OT Mom Learning Activities

You can purchase (cheaply) e-books that detail easy to do exercises for gross and fine motor skills. Using these books, DS's teacher and the OT developed a daily exercise routine for DS (some of the other students also have daily exercise routines). One of the aides helps him do his exercises every day.

I purchased the Gross Motor Bundle (3 e-books for $12) and have found them helpful for use at home. The steps are very clear and well illustrated. There are tips for how to incorporate the exercises into your daily family life as well as sample activity planners and a goal planning guide.

We have the The Rainy Day Indoor Playground System: This is a swing you set up in a doorway. It is one of the best things we have purchased for DS. He loves the net swing and it has a very calming effect on him. So easy to set up and use.

DS wears compression shirts under his regular shirt every day (we use the ones from Fun & Function).
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

Thanks for the book recommendations everyone. It has been sometime since I read the out of synch child. Maybe time for a refresher. Funnily, I recently started to do some exercised based on the ideas from the OT mom's site. Good to know the oops are worthwhile.

I am thinking perhaps try yoga based on your thoughts here. I have seen the swing contraption, but DH is a little apprehensive about these. Need to convince him.

How well and how long does the compression effect last? This also reminds me that I probably should send him in to school with his weighted vest.

Thank you, all, for the input. I'll start doing some of these and see if they make any difference.
    Last edited by Sweetum; 06-16-2013 at 12:43 AM.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My son has gross and fine motor issues and I have found this book to be very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Developmental-...ords=dyspraxia

I don't know if your son has a diagnosis of dyspraxia or developmental coordination disorder, but the first half of this book gives information about it and then the second half reads like an OT manual for parents. If you are looking for things to do at home I think it could be really helpful.