Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

OP, see my private message. I want to put it out there that just because you have surgery, risk will never be a "0"... I hate to be the Eeyore of the group, but while the risk goes SIGNIFICANTLY down, it will not be zero.
    DS1 2/2007
    DS2 10/2010

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, given the new info and hearing your doctor's response, I would go for the ovary removal. It will be a weight off your shoulders after it is all done. I hope the surgery goes well and that the doctor can come up with the right hormone replacement regimen for you.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by ecofem View Post
    OP, see my private message. I want to put it out there that just because you have surgery, risk will never be a "0"... I hate to be the Eeyore of the group, but while the risk goes SIGNIFICANTLY down, it will not be zero.
    yeah, I was surprised to learn this too a few weeks ago - I don't even know how they can monitor for ovarian cancer somewhere else in your abdomen.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My Dr. mentioned a very rare cancer that looks like ovarian cancer, acts like ovarian cancer and is treated like ovarian cancer...but isn't. Is this what you are referring to?

ETA: read and replied to your PM
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Final Update....I'm having the ovaries removed. I have the opportunity to reduce my risk for a deadly disease that can't reliably be monitored, I'm a VERY young breast cancer survivor, I have an "oddity" on my BRCA gene, I know nothing about my ovarian cancer risk based on family history alone, and I'm fairly young to need a hysterectomy. Something is just not right with my body it seems. When I write it all out like that, the choice seems clear to me. It's just not worth taking the risk, small as it may be, when my life could be at stake.

Thank you all for contributing to this thread. You've given me lots to think about and I appreciate it.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am glad to hear you have come to a decision. Good luck with your procedure!!!!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

I'm sorry I'm so late to this. FWIW, I think you clearly are making the right decision. Prayers for a successful surgery and a long, healthy, cancer-free life. HUGS!
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Making a hard decision takes so much energy and strength. You have really worked at this one and I wish you peace and a quick recovery. My father died of a cancer largely because he declined a recommended part of treatment when he first got it because he feared the side effects. He rolled the dice and lost. My opinion does not matter, but I am firmly in the camp of reduce risks if you can.

Thank you Blisstwins!

I'm sorry to hear about your father My Dad died of lung cancer going on 7 years ago now. It's so tough.

The fear of side effects is a HUGE concern. It's incredibly hard to make a decision like this when everything "seems" fine and being proactive runs the risk of unpleasant side effects that you don't currently have. My Dr. told me to not borrow trouble, so that's what I'm trying to do. Make the best decision with the information I have in front of me, and then deal with the side effects when and if they come. It's really a roll of the dice either way which makes it all that much harder.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. It is a very tough decision, but I just ha a friend die of colon cancer. She left behind a 9 year old and a 2 year old. It is never easy.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6