Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is very thoughtful of you Percycat!

I wanted to mention the total loss of feeling because its essentially a given for women who have mastectomies, and it's not something I ever gave a thought to before I had breast cancer.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hugs. If it were me I'd probably do the least invasive surgery and let everything else run it's course plumbing wise. I have no BTDT experience with breast cancer although I know many survivors.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I personally have to choose between 2 & 3 for myself. The side effects from three seem to be a pretty big drawback, but they call it the "silent killer." Good luck with your decision! It's not easy.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    What a tough set of choices.

I think in your shoes, I would take option 3. Like the PP, I am risk averse. I'd rather feel a sense of control in finding ways to deal with the effects of a hysterectomy versus not be able to control what's happening in my body.
    I'd choose option 3.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    What a tough set of choices.

I think in your shoes, I would take option 3. Like the PP, I am risk averse. I'd rather feel a sense of control in finding ways to deal with the effects of a hysterectomy versus not be able to control what's happening in my body.
    I agree. Hugs to you.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think this partly depends on how you deal with things. Would it take over your life, causing you to imagine symptoms and constantly worry about testing for ovarian and uterine cancer and imaginary symptoms? Or can you take things in stride?

I am the former and, for ME, I think option #3 would be the answer because it would eliminate a lot of worry. However, I would want to be pretty darn sure that I had a strong risk before resorting to such a serious intervention. I'm sure you've done genetic counseling, no?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Globetrotter....no, I have not had genetic counseling other than the BRCA gene test which showed a variant. That's my issue is because from what I've been told, at this point in time, nobody really knows what my real risk is or if I even have an elevated risk compared to the average woman. My Dr. says it's likely that one day these variants are going to be determined to mean something. It's just logical...my grandmother had breast cancer very young (45), my great aunt had breast cancer, and now I have. There HAS to be a genetic component going on there. But whether there is a link between my particular variant and an increase in ovarian and/or uterine cancer is anybody's guess.

Another factor I've got to consider is that I know nothing about my Dad's family. My grandmother, grandfather, and my aunt all died young from accidents. My grandmother had a hysterectomy around 50, but nobody knows why and nobody knows whether she kept her ovaries or not, although she never had ovarian cancer.

I'm definitely giving some thought as to how I would live going forward if I opt for just the tubal and ablation. I am a worrier and anxious by nature, and I'm already worrying about the guilt I would feel if I make the wrong choice here...either way.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    ... My grandmother had a hysterectomy around 50, but nobody knows why and nobody knows whether she kept her ovaries or not, although she never had ovarian cancer.

Honestly, I think hysterectomy at 50 was par for the course in a lot of women's medical care in the past - my own paternal grandmother had one herself for no medically necessary reason other than the fact that her docs told her to have it. It would have been a total hysterectomy/oopherectomy, because she had no menopausal symptoms whatsoever.

It was thought to be "easier" not to go through menopause naturally or something like that. We know differently now.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Honestly, I think hysterectomy at 50 was par for the course in a lot of women's medical care in the past - my own paternal grandmother had one herself for no medically necessary reason other than the fact that her docs told her to have it. It would have been a total hysterectomy/oopherectomy, because she had no menopausal symptoms whatsoever.

It was thought to be "easier" not to go through menopause naturally or something like that. We know differently now.
    That was my maternal grandmother (wasn't clear in my post)...and what you state is exactly what my aunt has said. She said my grandmother likely had a hysterectomy because her Dr. told her to.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Going through breast cancer treatment right now and thinking about having my ovaries out. Uterine cancer does not scare me, but ovarian cancer scares me quite a bit since it is so sneaky and there is no good way to monitor it. If you think you are at genetic risk, I would seriously consider getting them out.

And I would get a few more opinions on the hormone replacement thing before taking it if you go that route. My surgeon said ER+ positive women can do bio-identicals, but since everyone is freaking out about me eating soy as a vegetarian, I don't really know if she is correct.

But yes, it will likely affect your sex drive. Taking your ovaries out is usually a simple procedure so you don't necessarily need to do it while doing other surgery. Maybe you can get your insurance to pay for more genetic testing as there are a few other options out there now I have heard.

eta: or start taking tamoxifen if they will write you a scrip for it. It definitely has its list of side effects, but is less drastic though it does not solve the birth control issue.
    Last edited by Rainbows&Roses; 06-17-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast