Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like Rainbows&Roses suggestion to just remove your ovaries, since ovarian cancer is so hard to detect.
    It's a tough one since you don't know for SURE that you have a risk.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I like Rainbows&Roses suggestion to just remove your ovaries, since ovarian cancer is so hard to detect.
    It's a tough one since you don't know for SURE that you have a risk.
    That's the dilemma, exactly. If I knew I had an increased risk, this would be an easy decision for me. I just hate to take what could be normal, healthy organs out for no real reason. I've left a message for my Dr. to call me back, hopefully he does soon. This decision is really wearing on me.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

I wanted to add this source of information to see if it changes anyone's mind. It's an article on whether to take HRT or not, but it does a good job of explaining the risks of surgical menopause at a young age.

http://women.webmd.com/surgical-meno...r-hysterectomy

I really feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I don't...could die of ovarian cancer. If I do...could raise my risk of dying from everything else, and I could increase my chances of heart disease, stroke, and loss of memory function.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yikes. What are the risks from only removing the ovaries? Is that an option for you?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you go for the hysterectomy perhaps you should check into the robotic version of the surgery. My OB is the assistant head of the da Vinci robotic surgery program at my local hospital and the recovery is supposed to be much easier than the traditional open one.

I don't "think" I can do just the ovaries because then I would have to take both estrogen and progesterone. With the take all approach, I'd be left needing only estrogen. That's on my list of questions, though. I HATE that I have to make this decision. Really hate it.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

I talked to one of my Dr.s today and he said at this time, with the information that we have, and considering my age, it is perfectly reasonable to do the ligation and ablation only and monitor me for ovarian cancer as if my gene mutation puts me at an increased risk for cancer. That means, transvaginal ultrasound and a blood test every 6 months. I asked if this is the recommendation he'd give his own daughter and he said yes I've got one last call to make, but I really think this is what I'm going to do.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

That actually sounds like very good monitoring, without it being too much of a burden. I think you're making an informed decision, which is really the best any of us can do! I hope your future surgery goes well.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sounds like a great plan to me too!!

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    I talked to one of my Dr.s today and he said at this time, with the information that we have, and considering my age, it is perfectly reasonable to do the ligation and ablation only and monitor me for ovarian cancer as if my gene mutation puts me at an increased risk for cancer. That means, transvaginal ultrasound and a blood test every 6 months. I asked if this is the recommendation he'd give his own daughter and he said yes I've got one last call to make, but I really think this is what I'm going to do.
    I didn't want to influence too much, but I'm a breast surgeon and while all your choices are TOTALLY REASONABLE this would be my personal choice. You should do what feels right for you
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast