Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Color Wonder markers/paper - yay or nay?

What do you think of these, for 2 -3yos? I was thinking of buying some for my kids as they loooovvve do draw with markers (more than crayons, i think). of course tjhe problem is that they color on EVERYTHING (the table, walls, floor, etc). ds is almost 3.5 and dd is 2.

i saw some at the grocery store but it was like $11 a pack (ouch) and i would have to buy two. found some on amazon that were cheaper and also saw they sell the blank pads. which may be nice since they are not so much into coloring books..they seem to prefer coloring on blank paper.

however i read some reviews that says that their kids don't like these bc it takes a few seconds for the color to show up the paper..so the kids don't think the pens work and get bored and give up. is this true? if so, that would kind of ruin it for them...my kids seem to get joy out of graffiti-ing everything wtih markers...they are like little toddler taggers, it seems

i know i got a Cars aquadoodle set (mat, marker, cars "stamps") over a year ago for DS, and he never used it. he was upset that it would only color one color (red), and that was the end of that.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

however i read some reviews that says that their kids don't like these bc it takes a few seconds for the color to show up the paper..so the kids don't think the pens work and get bored and give up.
    Yes, that was pretty much exactly my experience with them. They were just never a hit.

Plain drawing paper and markers are the best.

ETA: Our rule is markers stay on the table and do not go around the house. Or they can be played with outside. I've never really had an issue getting washable markers off things.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD never liked them either. We always used plain paper and crayola washable markers at the table.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They were pretty much a bust here, even the Spiderman themed sets. My kids love to draw with markers, colored pencils, and crayons. My rules are they must be seated at the table (until they are older like 6), they must use an "art placemat" to avoid color on the table, and all crayons and markers in my home MUST be washable, no exceptions!
    K

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD likes Color Wonder. When she got into coloring, she started doing both Color Wonder and regular coloring pages.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My kids didn't like the delay in the color showing up either. They eventually liked using them, but by the time they weren't bothered by the delay, they were old enough to color on their own without any concern. My kids were never big on using the markers, etc. inappropriately in the first place, thankfully.

We would get sets as gifts or from the ILs, and I would save them for road trips or to use in our camper if it rained. They were satisfied with them for those purposes.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

A friend keeps them in her car for car rides. I just bought one for the same purpose (long car trips and plane) but haven't used it yet. She had a little plastic kit that contained the markers and paper pad, and also provided a hard surface for drawing.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll be interested to see how 2-y.o. DGD2 likes these. But even if they're a complete flop, I'm only out the 49 cents I paid at the Best Buy office supplies extravaganza!!

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I avoided them after reading that even though they are made to look clear, they still mark furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    ...however i read some reviews that says that their kids don't like these bc it takes a few seconds for the color to show up the paper..so the kids don't think the pens work and get bored and give up. is this true?
    Yeah, that was initially our experience, too. I got the set that a PP mentioned, a case that holds a couple books & 4 markers, when DS was maybe 2.5? it was a total bust then b/c he couldn't deal with the delay. Now that he's an older 3 it is better, b/c he can grasp the concept of having to wait, but I think it's more of a short use/novelty item (doesn't actually replace normal markers).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast