Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Thanks guys. Yes, it is on my thumb side. I am just guessing about CT....it just hurts! The possibility of mold is definitely on my radar. It's on my wish list of things to check if we can just get to a baseline of sanity.
    de Quervain's tendinitis. I had it and have known other moms (particularly of infants/toddlers) to get it because they are constantly lifting babies. Hurts.Like.Hell. I was prepared to go the steroid shot way to resolve it, but the doc I saw (bless his heart - he was just the doc on call but was so awesome!) gave me one golden piece of advice - use the "scoop" method to pick up the babies. Imagine that your thumb is attached to your hand (like when you make a "stop" sign) and keep it against the side of your hand when lifting a kid - in other words don't put any weight on the thumb or torque it in any way!!! It takes a bit of practice but is easy enough to do. He even said to tape it to my hand if I had to in order to remember. After a few weeks of using the "scoop" method which allowed my wrist and the inflammation to heal, the tendinitis resolved itself, thank goodness.

As for all the other stuff, just sending lots of P&PT!!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    de Quervain's tendinitis. I had it and have known other moms (particularly of infants/toddlers) to get it because they are constantly lifting babies. Hurts.Like.Hell. I was prepared to go the steroid shot way to resolve it, but the doc I saw (bless his heart - he was just the doc on call but was so awesome!) gave me one golden piece of advice - use the "scoop" method to pick up the babies. Imagine that your thumb is attached to your hand (like when you make a "stop" sign) and keep it against the side of your hand when lifting a kid - in other words don't put any weight on the thumb or torque it in any way!!! It takes a bit of practice but is easy enough to do. He even said to tape it to my hand if I had to in order to remember. After a few weeks of using the "scoop" method which allowed my wrist and the inflammation to heal, the tendinitis resolved itself, thank goodness.

Thank you so much for this advice! DH keeps telling me it's the computer but I honestly don't type that much, I swear. I will absolutely try scooping!

DD2 has a fever now. Looks like our "Staycation" really is going to consist of staying home. I'm super mad. :-(

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

so sorry you are going through all this. Totally agree with this assessment and recommendation. Had the same issue and DD's pediatrician said the exact same thing about scooping. Took a week or 2 and ibuprofen, but changing the pick up to be the scoop method absolutely made all the difference for me. Same for picking up anything during that time, not just DD. and I let DH open all new jars just for good measure. Good luck!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, DeQuervain's is quite common in moms. I had it in my working days really, really badly. I have small hands, and when working as a pediatric PT, I always overstretch my hands. Stretching kids, holding kids on therapy balls, you name it-lots of strain on the tendons of the wrist and thumb. It is very painful if that's what you are dealing with. If you decide to pursue an evaluation, a physical therapist should be able to get you some relief and rule out anything else. I had it flare up after having my DS1, but it wasn't too bad with subsequent kids.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2