Hi all of you FA moms! DS1 just had his blood test (RAST, I guess?) done earlier this week. The allergist called to tell me the results yesterday. He tested a 44 for Hazelnut and 20 something for sunflower. He wasn't really into discussing the results much over the phone because we have a follow-up appt on Monday. It sounds like he also reacted to some other tree nuts, but not as high. I guess I'm just having trouble at this point figuring out that it means.

To date, he has eaten anything and everything. He eats chinese takeout, we have had no restrictions at restaurants, store bought bakery items, birthday cakes, ice cream at the local dairy farms, etc. I gave him some sunbutter and thought he looked red around the mouth and that's what started the whole thing. I don't believe that he's ever had hazelnuts before, but he has plenty of things that have the 'trace', 'processed on equipment' type warnings on the labels.

I realize that we have not had the official follow-up yet, but the Dr indicated that he does not usually recommend doing the food challenge follow-ups. Is that customary? He did prescribe epi-pens but could not tell me if it was likely he'd have an anaphylactic reaction or not. I just feel like there should be some other kind of testing or something to further investigate? From online reading, it appears that the RAST results don't really tell you a whole lot other than the higher the number, the more likely that they are actually allergic to that food. I'm already leaning toward finding another Dr since I feel a bit 'blown off' by this one... What usually happens after the RAST testing?

Thanks!