hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default I can pour boiling water into a mason jar right?

I feel like this is super stupid. I can make tea in mason jars by pouring boiling water into them, putting tea bags in and then letting cool and removing bags and putting in fridge for iced tea. The glass won't break if I put the boiling water in them?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I feel like this is super stupid. I can make tea in mason jars by pouring boiling water into them, putting tea bags in and then letting cool and removing bags and putting in fridge for iced tea. The glass won't break if I put the boiling water in them?
    No they are heat safe....people boil them when canning all the time so you are good!

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    No they are heat safe....people boil them when canning all the time so you are good!
    DC ~ 9
    DC ~ 7

You may want to heat the jars first - boiling water into a cold jar could cause it to break.

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesmom03 View Post
    You may want to heat the jars first - boiling water into a cold jar could cause it to break.
    I've lost a couple of Pyrex pieces this way.

When my mother was canning she'd sterilze the jars first by heating them (from cold to boil) and then fill them while warm. Even then there were still some spectacular explosions . . .
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok I successfully made iced tea without cracking a jar. I will heat in the future (hot tap water?).
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wouldn't as my sister had a heavy duty glass pitcher explode on her once when she was making tea, giving her 3rd degree burns all over her legs. It was awful.
    K

Mason jars are designed to hold boiling liquids. When you make jam, you put boiling hot liquid jam into the jar. Occasionally a jar will crack because they are made of glass and can get tiny fissures from being dropped, etc. I personally put mason jars straight into boiling water from the pantry shelf when I'm sterilizing them. If you have granite or marble counters (or just like being careful), it's a good idea to put them on a wooden cutting board or towel because the stone is typically cold-feeling. Don't put jars from the freezer into boiling water. If you want to be careful, you can warm the jars up with some hot tap water first, but a canning jar is not the same glass as a decorative glass pitcher.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This thread reminded me of the time I took out an 8 oz glass bottle of breast milk from the fridge, put it in a bowl of hot water to warm up and the bottle broke. I think I cried.