I have limited experience with pumping, but have exclusively breastfed till the age of 2, three of my children.

Some things I know to be true, wether you are pumping or directly breast feeding:
Mothers and babies have their own unique scent that only they can distinguish. Put mothers in a line up, blind fold them, and pass along various babies, and they can pick out their own baby by scent pheromones. Same goes for babies scenting out their mothers. The first three weeks of life scent bonding is encoded. It's important not to cover this up with artificial scents from perfume, detergent, and baby washes/shampoos.

Why is all this important? Because its this scent, coupled with skin to skin contact, that helps produce your milk, boost your supply, achieve a quick milk letdown, and keep the let downs coming during pumping/nursing.

When babies are skin to skin their heart rates are the best they can be, their stress hormones decline, they grow faster and stronger. And mothers make more milk.

I would do skin to skin for as long as possible after delivery. Pump as soon as you are able. And keep baby on your lap when pumping, periodically leaning down to smell her sweet head to keep your supply going well.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad