♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default MiniBoden resale value (esp. boys)

i recently joined (yet another) FB reselling group, this one for MiniBoden, just on a total whim (a friend was a member, and i had a couple of outgrown MB items to sell). i've also started reselling kids' outgrown stuff (mostly hanna, some gymbo) on eBay. what i noticed was that Mini Boden resale value was amazingly, almost shockingly good. Hannas are decent but there are some things of DD's in good condition that i could barely get $2 for. Gymbo was even worse. Whereas I see people selling Boden stuff that is more than retail, even used. The applique tees, the baggies, and the camo shorts, especially. The other day on ebay i saw a pair of NWT striped red baggies (size 4) go for $56!!! that's DOUBLE the retail price!! I was shocked.

anyway i was just surprised, and intrigued. it seems like there is high demand for MB clothing in certain designs, colors etc..maybe bc there is no retail store in US (unlike HA, or Gymbo?). ANyway, this encouraged me into getting more Boden things for DS so that way I can at least recoup $$ when i am done with them. Also, i really like the styling..love the applique tees and the baggie striped shorts. I got a few things from the 30% off sale.

But so far it seems like the MB girls doesn't seem to resell nearly as well as the boys'. ANybody else notice this? I am sticking with Hanna for DD for now...(esp since she already has a closet full of 18 playdresses )
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-24-2013 at 10:33 PM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love MB for my boys but don't buy a whole lot due to the cost. I've never bought them any Hanna and while I love the undies from Gymbo I only buy the occasional top/pants for them about 1x per year. MB girls (and boys) seems to do well on Ebay, fwiw.
    K

yep miniboden holds value really, really well. I quit buying DS anything over $6 at gymbo because it doesn't hold value at all. i consider his gymbo his playclothes. Same with DD, though sometimes gymbo will have a dress or something that I'll get her for more (I have a $15 gymbo cap, though!)

GAP also holds value really, really well. Especially for boys. I need to find a new place to sell, though, because GF is sorta dead right now. I do really well at the local JBF, but the brand recognition isn't there for miniBoden...my gymbo sells lot hotcakes there. I joined a group on fb recently, but it's mostly dead, too. not sure where to look now.

ETA: i forgot to say that I think one reason is that MiniBoden stuff sells out, so people will have missed something when it was new and they really wanted it. I know sometimes I'll do that with a top and just be on the lookout for it the next year on resale. I also think part of it is that you can (mostly) only shop miniBoden online, so it's hard to know how to make outfits that will work well together. If someone has already done that for you, it's a bonus! I think this is the same with naartjie...it's not that expensive, but it retains value pretty well because people aren't sure what pieces will work with what other pieces...then someone has a full outfit and BAM you're sold. Gymbo used to sell out of stuff all the time, but I've only seen a few sell outs without HUGE discounts in the last year. I might even be able to tell you which pieces it was....they just overproduce, IMO.
    Last edited by megs4413; 06-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

I wouldn't base buying decisions on resale too much. Which brands resell well tends to shift over time and buying expensive clothes with the expectation that you can recoup most of your money (or more) could easily backfire. It used to be that gymbo had immense resale value--obviously that isn't true anymore. Hanna resale has also dropped pretty dramatically. Right now MB seems to be hot for boys and naartjie for girls but it could change quickly.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i tink you're totally right megs - boden things sell out quickly, there's no stores in the us (well, nordies sells it guess) so it's harder to come across. and yes, from what i see there are many boden enthusiasts (like i seem to be becoming) that are a bit obsessed with matching the tops/bottoms etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    I wouldn't base buying decisions on resale too much. Which brands resell well tends to shift over time and buying expensive clothes with the expectation that you can recoup most of your money (or more) could easily backfire. It used to be that gymbo had immense resale value--obviously that isn't true anymore. Hanna resale has also dropped pretty dramatically. Right now MB seems to be hot for boys and naartjie for girls but it could change quickly.
    but that's the thing though..Boden is actually NOT that expensive. They often have free shipping codes, and with 30% off sales they are actually not that $$. A pair of baggies is $28..with 30% off and free shipping...$21. and if i can sell it for even for just $10 in a year or two..that is one heck of a return.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    just to be clear, I don't shop this way. that would be so stressful. I buy what I like and then resell what's in demand. I don't even bother putting effort into reselling gymbo, which is why i won't spend much for it. i sell EVERYTHING that is in sellable condition at JBF (gymbo, off brands, stuff that didn't sell online.) In demand brands, I sell online to get the most $$ for them before sending to JBF.

i buy what i like and will work well for us within the budget that we have set for clothes. the money i make back reselling online and at JBF is just a way to recycle money in our budget. so if I set out for fall/winter shopping with a budget of $100 (not realistic obviously, but for ease of example) I am really only spending $50 of that in "new" money...the rest is coming back to me from reselling.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i tink you're totally right megs - boden things sell out quickly, there's no stores in the us (well, nordies sells it guess) so it's harder to come across. and yes, from what i see there are many boden enthusiasts (like i seem to be becoming) that are a bit obsessed with matching the tops/bottoms etc.

but that's the thing though..Boden is actually NOT that expensive. They often have free shipping codes, and with 30% off sales they are actually not that $$. A pair of baggies is $28..with 30% off and free shipping...$21. and if i can sell it for even for just $10 in a year or two..that is one heck of a return.
    I'm like Megs describes--I buy what I like within my budget and resell anything that is still in decent condition when we are done with it. I'm just saying the current boden following may be on to a new brand tomorrow. If you like boden and its in your budget by all means buy what you like. But having a particular resale in mind doesn't always work out like you might think. And getting top dollar resale can be a lot of work depending on the volume you are reselling. I just mean this as a warning to anyone who looks at auctions on eBay and sees easy dollar signs--I'm not saying anything about OPs shopping plans in particular.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13