ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do you store American Doll clothes/shoes, etc.

My cousin just passed down her American Girl doll to my 6 yr. old DD1, who has suddenly taken a big interest in playing dolls. She gave her a bunch of clothes, shoes, etc. too, as well as a hanging organizer, but not everything fits in the organizer. DD works very careful to hang up the clothes and organize things, but gets frustrated when it gets overfull and things fall out. So what easy and cheap ways have you found to store all the doll stuff?

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

It's not elegant, but it's cheap: my kids stack and fold the outfits in a large bin.

I haven't seen the Our Generation wardrobe at the Target in my city yet, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    It's not elegant, but it's cheap: my kids stack and fold the outfits in a large bin.

I haven't seen the Our Generation wardrobe at the Target in my city yet, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    I tried this method with their other doll clothes and they just throw everything in and it gets all tangled up and shoes get lost, etc. I wish I could find some kind of storage bin or doll trink that has a lift out tray that smaller stuff like shoes, hair ribbons, etc. could go in and then lay the outfits underneath the tray. Or a plastic organizer with different sized drawers maybe......

I thought I read on here that Tuesday Morning sometimes sells the Our Generation stuff? Maybe I should go there and see if they have any doll trunks or wardrobes. We don't really have room for doll furniture right now though.

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD puts each outfit in a ziploc and then stores it in a a plastic bin with three pullout drawers. It's not elegant but it works (when she will keep it all together). Usually though she just ends up throwing everything loose into the drawers.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Growing up, We kept our doll clothes in shoe boxes. I remember being THRILLED when someone got a new pair of shoes because it meant there was a new shoebox to use! Maybe try this?
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We just keep things in several large bins, sorted by what belongs to which doll, since each of my girls has one. there's a bin for stuff for DD1's doll, one for DD2's doll, and a shared bin. My girls decided this method themselves and it works for us, as they are happy to paw through piles of stuff. If you're looking for something with lots of little drawers, maybe check out either a hardware store for the organizers they use for nails, screws, etc. Or if you want something in more of a "girly" color Joann's Fabric has some great craft storage with little bins, and they're almost always having a 50% off sale on organizing supplies.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Thanks for all the ideas After looking around the internet late last night, I came up with a few things I'd like to try. I saw this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Hang...ref=pd_sim_t_4 and remembered that I had a large rectangluar basket with a straight handle across the top. The actual American Girl clothes hangers won't fit over the wide handle, but some of the other hangers that came with the clothes will, so we can hang more clothes across the top of that, then I'm going to get small plastic trays to put across the bottom to hold shoes, hair ribbons, etc. (like the organizing trays that you put into a drawer to hold office or kitchen supplies). I think that, along with the hanging organizer that came with the doll, will be plenty of storage for the time being and DD loved the basket idea.

I also saw a way to use a hanging jewelry organizer to hold shoes: http://www.serenitynowblog.com/2013/...oll-shoes.html I have a hanging cosmetic bag w/ larger clear windows that I might end up using to hold extras as well.

I also thought this repurposing of an old metal picture frame was a neat idea: http://misskristiscraftteachingdollb...for-dolls.html

My goal this week is to clean out DD1's bedroom and make a little doll corner for her with a place for the clothes, the doll bed, etc.

Oh, if anyone has crafty girls, here is an idea for a no-sew sundress that we might try too, as the doll's current wardrobe is mostly winter items: http://www.100directions.com/make-a-...doll-sundress/