Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default pogo stick a good idea?

DS wants a pogo stick and I am thinking it would be fun and also good exercise and practice for balance and so many other OT related advantages. But is it right for a somewhat immature, balance-challenged, 4yo who is almost the size of a 6yo? He rides a bike with training wheels.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 has one and enjoys it, but he got it at age 8. Really look at them and find one that goes to low weights. A lot of them are for bigger kids. We practiced quite a bit with me holding the pogo stick and him getting on and jumping. I'd keep my hands on it and help him with the balance.

DS1 has been on 2-wheels since his 4th birthday and does a Ripstik castor board and scooter really well.
    Kris

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has one. She got it last year, I believe, so she was probably 8 or almost 8 when she got it. It took a while for her to learn to use it.

Pogo sticks can be a bit difficult to master. I'm not sure if it would be the best thing for a balance-challenged 4yo. You never know, though, I guess it could encourage him to work on balance. I'd probably hold off, though.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mom broke both wrists on a pogo stick as a kid. She decided to go no hands. We still had one growing up but we were told we had to keep both hands in it.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

hmmm, I am wondering now if should be getting it. maybe try it out at a store. the thing is that he knows his "limitations" so, if he is unsteady, he won't try to do balance type of stuff. Maybe he has not figoured out how much balancing it will need, so, maybe I'll just have him try it at the store, if possible. thank you all.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely try it out at the store first. My husband bought one that was for ages 3+ with a max of 6lbs. and my five year old (40lbs) couldn't even budge it and I don't think my 9 year old (55lbs) could either.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

I think 4 is a little young for a pogo stick.

Have you thought of a balance board instead? Not as exciting as a pogo stick I know, but might be better for that age.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have this foam pogo type thing that might work for you. I think it is a little safer for beginners and easier than an actual pogo stick.

http://www.ebeanstalk.com/Internatio...go-Jumper.html

My DS got it for his 3rd birthday but it is still a little tricky for him. My DD (4.5) really likes it too and can use it well independently. The bungee stretches and it goes up to 250 lbs so it will last as long as they want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    We have this foam pogo type thing that might work for you. I think it is a little safer for beginners and easier than an actual pogo stick.

http://www.ebeanstalk.com/Internatio...go-Jumper.html

My DS got it for his 3rd birthday but it is still a little tricky for him. My DD (4.5) really likes it too and can use it well independently. The bungee stretches and it goes up to 250 lbs so it will last as long as they want to use it.
    That looks great!!!!! I just put it on my wishlist for DS.