Thread: Hip Carriers

Amy G is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Hip Carriers

Is there a good carrier for your hip-carrying a toddler? We are going on vacation soon and when she is not wanting to walk or be in a stroller, a carrier would be nice!

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think a wrap would be your best bet. We have an Ergo and a Beco and both of those have hip carries. The strap sits at an awkward place in my opinion though, making it uncomfortable for more than a few minutes. The baby wearing website has a great board you could try for tips on specific wraps. There are so many to choose from. Also, you might want to see if there is a baby wearing group in your area. Then you can try out some different options before you buy.

Amy G is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Great idea, I do remember now that there is a group or store like that in town!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hip carries with a wrap are possible, but there's a learning curve ... and if you get/have a longer wrap, it's tougher to manage the slack. (I speak from experience.)

Personally, I'd recommend either a ring-sling or a Scootababy.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Scootababy is a hip-only carrier. I think the idea is fantastic, but my shoulders could just not work the hip carry (use my Scootababy only a few times). The baby needs to be 6 months or older though. http://www.scootababy.com/
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you seen the Nari Hip Hugger? I have no idea how practical or comfortable it would be, but it looks interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Nari-Todd.../dp/B003U86GSY.
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

I had a Scootababy for my last baby, but never used it much - he was really big (long & heavy), and I'm really short and had a bad diastasis so it didn't work for us. Nicely made carrier though.