Thread: NYC trip report

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default NYC trip report

Just back from a long weekend in NYC with the kids. Thought I'd post for anyone planning a similar trip. The boys were awesome on the drive -- they are at a great age to travel!

Friday -- we left at 10:45 am and it was a 4 hour drive with a stop for a quick lunch -- got to NYC at 3ish. We stayed at the Meridian near Central Park in a room with a king size bed and a pull out couch -- nice space for the city. We unpacked and walked to times square. We walked around times square a little and hit Toys R Us (no purchases but the kids liked looking!). We had a 5 pm reservation at the R Lounge in the Renissance Hotel -- it overlooks times square. We had a window view and the boys LOVED looking at all the action!

Saturday -- kids up early, hit a diner for breakfast around the corner and went to Central Park -- great playground and super fun for the kids to climb rocks etc. We hopped a cab at 9 am for Batter Park and took the free Ellis Island Ferry and saw the statue of liberty which was great! We went to Crepes Du Nord for lunch and the kids loved the crepes. We hopped a cab to the east village. We found a great small playground in the area and hung out/had ice cream and then went to a 3 pm performance of STOMP. The boys LOVED stomp and I took the head phones for DS2 to protect his ears (he is sensitive) and he did wear them a couple of times. We hopped YET another cab to Times Square and met friends for supper at Virgil's BBQ which was very kid friendly.

Sunday -- kids up early (trend!) and we had breakfast at Norma's in the hotel -- awesome breakfast that was $ but really not a lot more than the diner around the corner! Went for a swim at the hotel and packed up/checked out. Hopped a cab to the Museum of Natural History. The museum was fine but we won't be going back again -- it is a lot of dead/stuffed animals and not much hands on which is a shame. We still spent 3 hours there. We grabbed lunch near by at a deli and took a pedi cab to the top of times square (kids were wanting to do that). Then we took a quick horse carriage ride which was actually really fun! Then we went back to the hotel and drove home.

We really had a great time. We packed a LOT in and there is a lot more to do!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    ...Hopped a cab to the Museum of Natural History. The museum was fine but we won't be going back again -- it is a lot of dead/stuffed animals and not much hands on which is a shame. We still spent 3 hours there. ...
    Funny you should mention that, but the taxidermied dioramas seem to be my DD's favorite parts.

I agree that there aren't a lot of "hands on" bits, but I think that's mainly due to the sheer size & age of the place. The most interactive places in the museum are found in the Rose Center, where they have the Hall of Planets and so on, and even then, it's not equal to a children's museum.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Just for you to know, there is a set of rooms near the side exit that is interactive. It's called the Discovery Room and is near the special exhibit. Children can look at things up close, build a dinosaur, do costumes, and I think dig for fossils. They also have an area that kids have to be 8 to enter, so I'm not sure what's in that section. We couldn't get my son out of it. If the museum is crowded go early as it fills up.