Default Portland Trip for DH and me--Restaurants and other recommendations please!

My husband and I are are planning a trip to Portland and the surrounding area during the first half of October. I am hoping the weather will still be good--that's the only time frame that works for us! We like museums, DH likes Chinese/Japanese Gardens, bookstores, and we want to do some wine tasting. We have reservations at the Hotel Vintage Plaza. We really like Kimpton Hotels and this price range fits our budget well.

Here is a rough itinerary. We are getting there on Sunday and leaving on Saturday. Most of the places we want to visit are open 10-6, which is great because DH is NOT a morning person. So that kind of limits how much we can see and do in a day, but that's ok. We will rent a car for the day trips, but otherwise we were just going to use mass transit/taxis.

Sunday--not sure--if we get in early enough, the Portland market
    Monday-Japanese Garden in Washington Park; Lan Su Chinese Garden
    Tuesday-Oregon Historical Society and Portland Art Museum
    Powell's City of Books is a must. We could probably spend 2-4 hours in there! I would like to check out the
    Pendleton
    store and do some other shopping but I am flexible.

Wednesday: Tour Northern Willamette Valley wine country. I am thinking of the following loop: West to Forest Grove, South to Yamhill and McMinnville, and then NW back to Portland via Dundee/Newberg. Aside from wineries, we definitely want to see the Evergreen Aviation Museum with the Spruce Goose.

These are the wineries that made the "short list". Obviously, we can't hit all of them!! Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. We like pinot noires, sauv blanc, chardonnay. DH likes reislings and other fruity whites (ugh!). We enjoy visiting fun tasting rooms--with a view, in unique location, etc.
    Elk Cove
    Montinore
    Carlton Winemakers Studio
    Scot Paul Tasting Room
    Domaine Serene
    Duckpond Cellars
    Maresh Red Barn
    Rex Hill
    Adelsheim Vineyard

Thursday: Drive up the Columbia River Gorge to either Hood River or the Dalles. I would like to take the Historic Columbia River Highway and Multnomah Falls, Stevenson. Maybe stop at Hood River for lunch at the Full Sail Tasting Room/Pub. I would like to tour one dam and one Columbia Gorge History Center. (I would really love to see fish climbing the fish ladders but I assume we are too late in the season for that) So, should we stop at Bonneville Dam or Dalles Lock and Dam? And should we stop at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center in Stevenson or the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center in The Dalles?

Saturday--I think we won't have time for much, so I am not sure....

That leaves Friday???? Maybe drive to Astoria or Cannon Beach? We are willing to drive 2 hours to get to something and come back. But that's the limit, really. Maybe see the Museum of Science and Industry in Portland? I like the history in Astoria. Cannon Beach sounds a little "twee" but the coast is gorgeous there.

Restaurants--this is the short list. We don't eat much for breakfast or lunch. Our big meal is at dinner. If there is a place that is good for salads and small sandwiches or a yummy breakfast bakery/coffee place, that is great. We really like seafood and restaurants that use local ingredients/farm to table. Asian "fusion" is also good. I would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on these choices.
    The Heathman
    Higgins
    Jakes Famous Crawfish
    Southpark Seafood Grill and Wine Bar
    Andina
    Ten 01
    Wildwood
    Lemongrass
    Salty's on the Columbia

Thanks so much for any recommendations you can give!
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 07-01-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I live here and I have not been to a lot of the places on your list! So if you can do all of those, you will have accomplished something!!!

I have been to both the Japanese and Chinese gardens and they are both lovely. In October the weather will hopefully not be too rainy yet. I have never been to the Historical Society, but the Portland Art Museum is nice. I'm not sure what special exhibit they might have then, but it would be worth checking to see if you need advance tickets.

Powell's - yes, plan on an entire afternoon. And space in your suitcases to haul back what you find. They shelve the used books right alongside the new ones, so it is great for bargain hunters, and you're sure to find some treasures.

I have never been to the aviation museum, but I've driven past it on the way to the beach! You might save some time on your driving if you went to a few wineries on the way out to the coast (via McMinnville) and then headed north up the coast to Cannon Beach (one of my favorite beaches, btw, for the actual beach as well as the shops and restaurants), and stayed a night in Cannon Beach, or somewhere before heading back to Portland. OR you could get on one of those winery tours and let someone else worry about the driving while you enjoy the wine tasting!!! Especially if you're going to make a day of wine tasting.

As far as restaurants, I have been to most of the ones on your list, and they are all good. I don't think that Salty's is anything amazing like some of the other places, but it has a nice view. You are missing LePigeon. It is on the east side of the river. Not far from downtown. Quite spectacular.

I also noticed that your plans are mostly for downtown, which has a lot to offer, but some of the smaller neighborhoods are fun, too, and offer some of that real "Portland" feel.

Also, for food, be sure to check out some food carts, as they are everywhere and you can eat very very well.

As far as the gorge is concerned, I think the scenic highway, stopping to see the waterfalls along the way, and the view from Crown Point, is very nice. If it's nice weather, not pouring, that is. There is a good restaurant in the lodge at Multnomah Falls.

If it's not snowing, you could drive up Mt. Hood to Timberline Lodge. They have good food there, too!

Have a great trip!
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by azzeps View Post
    I also noticed that your plans are mostly for downtown, which has a lot to offer, but some of the smaller neighborhoods are fun, too, and offer some of that real "Portland" feel.

Also, for food, be sure to check out some food carts, as they are everywhere and you can eat very very well.
    Definitely head to "Trendy Third"--I like shopping there when I visit from Seattle. http://www.examiner.com/article/walk...n-trendy-third
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Thanks for the reccos and ideas. I am looking forward to the food carts/trucks for some really good lunches!! Powells is going to be frightening, actually. DH collects books. We may have to ship them back
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I know this is an old thread, but noticed you aren't traveling until Oct. We used to live in Portland, and were back last weekend visiting friends. While we were there DH and I had a great dinner at Ox. Good enough that I was thinking about it for several days and can't wait to go back! Also, if you like sushi, Bamboo Sushi is pretty wonderful. Both Bamboo and Ox would be a cab ride from downtown.

Of the places on your list, the only one I really love is Andina, but I would also add Park Kitchen or Paley's Place. You can take the streetcar to Paley's, which is kind of fun. If you are downtown on Saturday definitely walk up to the farmers market on the South Park blocks. Portland has great farmers markets and this one is wonderful. Good combination of fresh produce, food carts and local specialty foods that you could even pack to take home. We used to go there a lot when we lived there.

Have a great trip!

kara:

I am so bummed that we are missing the Saturday market. Oh well, another reason to go back
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It was quite a long time ago since we were last in Portland, but one of our favorite meals was at the Oregon Culinary Institute, the other was at French restaurant in the NW section that has since closed. The students run the restaurant. We were driving around looking for somewhere to eat and I liked the look of the building and so we went in. The students do everything from serve the meal, wait the tables, and cook the meal. If you have some time I would check it out. It is on SW Jefferson.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hello StantonHyde-
    Sorry for such a late response!! Clearly, I am not keeping up on the BBB!! Native Portlander here- and haven't been to everything but have been to some of the places on your list.

Sunday--not sure--if we get in early enough, the Portland market

Monday-Japanese Garden in Washington Park; Lan Su Chinese Garden
    Tuesday-Oregon Historical Society and Portland Art Museum
    Powell's City of Books is a must. We could probably spend 2-4 hours in there! I would like to check out the Pendleton store and do some other shopping but I am flexible. Pendleton is on the edge of the Pearl, also lots of other options downtown- Nordstroms and Nordy Rack, Columbia, Nike, etc. Is there a specific shop you are looking for??

Wednesday: Tour Northern Willamette Valley wine country. I am thinking of the following loop: West to Forest Grove, South to Yamhill and McMinnville, and then NW back to Portland via Dundee/Newberg. Aside from wineries, we definitely want to see the Evergreen Aviation Museum with the Spruce Goose.

These are the wineries that made the "short list". Obviously, we can't hit all of them!! Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated. We like pinot noires, sauv blanc, chardonnay. DH likes reislings and other fruity whites (ugh!). We enjoy visiting fun tasting rooms--with a view, in unique location, etc.
    I too am a riesling person- for wineries, I liked Rex Hill, Elk Cove and Montinore. I've driven by Duckpond but haven't stopped (on the way to the coast). With trying to do wineries plus a Spruce Goose visit, you may want to pair down to 3-4 of your top choices- to allow travel time and time at the Evergreen Museum. Also, try to time it so you aren't stuck in traffic on 99W- it gets kinda hairy.
    Elk Cove-
    Montinore
    Carlton Winemakers Studio
    Scot Paul Tasting Room
    Domaine Serene
    Duckpond Cellars
    Maresh Red Barn
    Rex Hill
    Adelsheim Vineyard

Thursday: Drive up the Columbia River Gorge to either Hood River or the Dalles. I would like to take the Historic Columbia River Highway and Multnomah Falls, Stevenson. Maybe stop at Hood River for lunch at the Full Sail Tasting Room/Pub. I would like to tour one dam and one Columbia Gorge History Center. (I would really love to see fish climbing the fish ladders but I assume we are too late in the season for that) So, should we stop at Bonneville Dam or Dalles Lock and Dam? And should we stop at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center in Stevenson or the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center in The Dalles?

For your Gorge trip- Stevenson is on the Washington side- you could either do up the Oregon side and lunch at Hood River and then back (staying on the Oregon side)- or you could go further up the Gorge to Biggs and cross over and visit the Maryhill Museum (which has a gorgeous view) on the Washington side and come back down along hwy 14. This is slower, due to it being 1 lane each way hwy, vs. I-84 in the Gorge which has 2 lanes, each way. I would probably stop at Bonneville- but you could email their visitor centers and see if they have any fish climbing. I have heard great things about the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center in the Dalles.

Saturday--I think we won't have time for much, so I am not sure....

That leaves Friday???? Maybe drive to Astoria or Cannon Beach? We are willing to drive 2 hours to get to something and come back. But that's the limit, really. Maybe see the Museum of Science and Industry in Portland? I like the history in Astoria. Cannon Beach sounds a little "twee" but the coast is gorgeous there.

Friday- I'd go to Astoria- they have a really nice Maritime Museum there- my parents have gone, and it's on our list to hit when the kids get a bit older! Astoria has some film lore (Goonies, etc) it has a great Scandanavian community, and a few forts (Ft. Clatsop, etc). Lots of great places to eat here too! You could do the Astoria Column and get a gorgeous view of Young's Bay and the mouth of the Columbia River- it is breathtaking!

Hope you have a wonderful visit!!

Restaurants--this is the short list. We don't eat much for breakfast or lunch. Our big meal is at dinner. If there is a place that is good for salads and small sandwiches or a yummy breakfast bakery/coffee place, that is great. We really like seafood and restaurants that use local ingredients/farm to table. Asian "fusion" is also good. I would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations on these choices.
    These are very good choices- I've been to Jakes, Salty's, Wildwood and Southpark.- a couple of others- Oba (in the Pearl) has a nice happy hour; Portland City Grill and Salty's also do. Check out WillametteWeek.com, as they do an annual restaurant review that might be helpful. Their recommendations are usually really good! As PP recommended, food carts are also popular.
    The Heathman

Higgins
    Jakes Famous Crawfish
    Southpark Seafood Grill and Wine Bar
    Andina
    Ten 01
    Wildwood
    Lemongrass
    Salty's on the Columbia

Thanks for the ideas/advice!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'm hoping that the weather will hold out for you- we are into rain/sprinkles for a few days and then nice again..... it'll go like this for a bit I think!! Hope you have a blast!