Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We did the same thing as psimpson 3-5 and it worked great for our DS. At that point he was drinking 6 oz bottles, so it took us a week longer, but we followed the same idea of adding 1 oz of milk per week. We decided to tackle the switch over to milk first and weaning off the bottle second. He had a morning bottle everyday until his 2nd bday. His milk intake really took a dive when we switched to cups, so giving him that one bottle/day eased my mind to some extent.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know I wrote about this in another post but could not find it. To make the switch, the first morning, I gave 4 oz of formula with 2 oz of milk in a straw cup. It was the first thing she had in the morning. I had tried to give it to her at another time of day and she wanted nothing to do with it so I tried first thing. Worked like a charm. Next day I did 4 oz of milk, 2 oz of formula, and the last day 6 oz of milk. It worked so well, I transitioned her from formula a week before her birthday because it worked quicker than expected. My ped said 16 oz for a 1 year old. She gets 8 oz in the morning and 8 oz after her nap on most days. I am not sure what they do at school TBH though. She may get milk with her lunch at school and less milk after her nap. It really does not faze me. We buy the organic milk from Trader Joes. It is not ultra homegenized so it still keeps a lot of the nutrients. I never put milk in a bottle and I never warmed it. Eventually, DD started to drink it. By 1, she was eating lots of things including greek yogurt and cheese so I was not concerned if she was getting enough.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jennilynn View Post
    We didn't really introduce milk because DH and I don't drink it so its rarely in the house. We do buy coconut milk for cereal and cooking but I focused more on getting them to eat yogurt at 1 y/o because it has calcium, protein and good bacteria. Our ped had no issues with that
    Our Ped said she didn't really need to drink milk after 1 yo, he also said 2 cups a day max. But we do give her yogurt, we started with it at 9 months IIRC, we've also done cheese. But I don't see the point in getting her used to drinking milk several times a day if it's not really that nutritious and maybe not even good for her. So that's why I want to discuss alternatives with her Ped (do we even need one if she eats a balanced and healthy diet and drinks plenty of water?). So far she drinks only water, and occasionally very watered down juice, and we add rice milk to her oatmeal.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For those who don't do milk: how much yogurt (or whatever you do instead) is "enough"? Our Ped is pretty traditional, but 13 mo DD1 refuses to swallow milk. I never liked it either. If we go without it, what is the recommended amount? Right now we're still nursing, but I'd like to start moving to some other things that she'll eat/drink. She LOVES Greek yogurt, so if that is an ok substitute, I'm ok with that

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmommy View Post
    For those who don't do milk: how much yogurt (or whatever you do instead) is "enough"? Our Ped is pretty traditional, but 13 mo DD1 refuses to swallow milk. I never liked it either. If we go without it, what is the recommended amount? Right now we're still nursing, but I'd like to start moving to some other things that she'll eat/drink. She LOVES Greek yogurt, so if that is an ok substitute, I'm ok with that
    i'm interested in this answer too - DD loves greek yogurt and she eats some every morning. but certainly we're not giving her enough right now to count as her required dairy intake.

i love my pedi, but i'm not sure she'll be able to give me clear answer on whether i can just give yogurt, how much yogurt, etc

any informed mamas, please chime in!
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Quote Originally Posted by lmh2402 View Post
    i'm interested in this answer too - DD loves greek yogurt and she eats some every morning. but certainly we're not giving her enough right now to count as her required dairy intake.

i love my pedi, but i'm not sure she'll be able to give me clear answer on whether i can just give yogurt, how much yogurt, etc

any informed mamas, please chime in!
    In general it is recommended that toddlers receive 16-20 oz of whole milk per day (20 really being the max). It is fine to (fully) substitute this with other dairy products, but IME yogurt is tough b/c it is subbed oz for oz. That's a lot of yogurt for a little one! Cheese is easier b/c the quantity you need goes way down--1.5 oz of hard cheese = 8 oz of milk.

ETA: This would be the amt to aim for when your LO is weaned.
    Last edited by YouAreTheFocus; 07-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Interesting! So, for a 13 mo who is still nursing, 1.5 oz of hard cheese is really quite a good amount. That is good to know!
    I'm going to start pushing DH to feed her more cheese since she loves that and is so milk resistant. I'm sure he can get her to eat more cheese and yogurt, and to drink more water to keep hydrated.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    In general it is recommended that toddlers receive 16-20 oz of whole milk per day (20 really being the max). It is fine to (fully) substitute this with other dairy products, but IME yogurt is tough b/c it is subbed oz for oz. That's a lot of yogurt for a little one! Cheese is easier b/c the quantity you need goes way down--1.5 oz of hard cheese = 8 oz of milk.

ETA: This would be the amt to aim for when your LO is weaned.
    thanks! stupid question alert...is cheddar cheese considered hard cheese? DD loves cheddar
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think that cheddar is a hard cheese, soft cheeses are like mozzarella and brie.

HTH
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2