Question Where to go in New England with 3 young kids?

Hi everyone!

We are a family of 5, with 3 kids under 5. Our youngest is 10 months old.

We live in Rhode Island, and are looking for places to travel with our kids.
    Including attractions, hotels.. etc..

Also tips would be appreciated.

This Friday we will be going to Story Land for the first time. It has been over 16 years for me. It will be an interesting car ride. We won't be staying over night. We have our tickets already, which is a plus.

Where else are fun places to visit in New England?

Canobie is on my radar too.

Thanks.

Desiree

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mystic Aquarium in Mystic, CT. The New England Aquarium in Boston is also nice, but I don't know how far you intend on driving from home yet.

I haven't been since I was 12, but we had a WONDERFUL time when my family went - I'm the eldest of 4. We ranged in age from my then-4-year-old sister, 6-year-old and 8-year-old brothers and me (aged 12 at the time.) We also visited the Seaport, which I enjoyed, but I think my sister would rather have skipped.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Davis Farmland, Southwick Zoo, Boston Children's Museum has $1 Friday nights. Fenway Park does tours. The Paw Sox & Lowell Spinners do great Family Nights.

I might get flamed for this, and no offense to the pp, I think the Aquarium is a waste of time & money. It's expensive the Aquarium is small, parking is a pain.

ETA: I mean the New England Aquarium in Boston. Canobie Lake is fun, you're kids will live Storyland!
    DD1- 5/2008
    DD2- 3/2012
    Expecting a Boy July 2014!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maybeebaby08 View Post

I might get flamed for this, and no offense to the pp, I think the Aquarium is a waste of time & money. It's expensive the Aquarium is small, parking is a pain.

ETA: I mean the New England Aquarium in Boston. ...
    None taken! I've never tried to park at the NE Aquarium, honestly, as the first time I visited was on a school trip in high school.

I enjoyed it, but agree that it's not a "must do." I like the Mystic Aquarium quite a bit, though.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Another vote for Mystic -- we like both the Aquarium and Seaport. Also, consider Old Sturbridge Village, although it may be less interesting to your young ones right now. They offer all sorts of special programs -- DGD1 went to a Spring vac day camp there a couple of years ago and loved dressing in period costumes, making colonial crafts, etc.

Closer to home, if you haven't yet found it, is the Coggeshall Farm Museum in Bristol, RI, a colonial-themed 'living history' farm that offers lots of events. The wool and fiber festival is a particular favorite.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Boston Museum of Science is a huge hit
    Pawtucket Sox is great (cheap tix)
    I am not a fan of the aquarium (NE) it is $$$ and my boys were never that into it
    Children's Museum of Boston is great also at that age
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

In addition to what the PPs mentioned above...

Ecotarium
    Drumlin Farm
    Coco Keys
    Hampton Beach in NH (Children's Festival or my personal favorite, the Seafood Festival in September)
    Whale's Tale
    Liquid Planet
    Water Country
    Santa's Village
    Conway Scenic Railroad (and all of North Conway, really)

Just a few of the activities I had on my to-do list when I lived in the area. I miss summer in New England!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009