Default Snow skiing in the mid-atlantic/southeast US...who has done it and where did you go?

DH and I used to go out west every year before we had kids. We've been to Colorado a few times, Lake Tahoe, and Whistler, Canada. We want to introduce our kids to skiing and get to ski again ourselves. It has been way too long! I conceived DD #1 10 years ago and have not been back since. I am dyyyying to go again!

We live in FL and were thinking of Snowshoe, West Virginia (I've heard from people who have been there that it is super family friendly) or North Carolina. We have friends who have gone to both and liked it, but I wanted to get more input here.

I know there is no comparison to skiing out west, but hey, it's a start!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't ski, but XH and DS1 do. They usually go to Snowshoe or to Wisp which is in Maryland.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    DH and I used to go out west every year before we had kids. We've been to Colorado a few times, Lake Tahoe, and Whistler, Canada. We want to introduce our kids to skiing and get to ski again ourselves. It has been way too long! I conceived DD #1 10 years ago and have not been back since. I am dyyyying to go again!

We live in FL and were thinking of Snowshoe, West Virginia (I've heard from people who have been there that it is super family friendly) or North Carolina. We have friends who have gone to both and liked it, but I wanted to get more input here.

I know there is no comparison to skiing out west, but hey, it's a start!
    I think you would be sadly disappointed with what we have in maryland/virginia (it's ok for a day trip if you are local, but I wouldn't travel from Florida for it). If you want to stay on the east coast, I think the Poconos in PA is the farthest south you can get decent skiing, and Vermont/Maine is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I think you would be sadly disappointed with what we have in maryland/virginia (it's ok for a day trip if you are local, but I wouldn't travel from Florida for it). If you want to stay on the east coast, I think the Poconos in PA is the farthest south you can get decent skiing, and Vermont/Maine is much better.
    Thanks, I've been to the Poconos when I lived up north. We are looking for something driveable, and we don't want to drive that far. 14 hrs max driving is about it for us, lol.

How does Snowshoe compare to the Poconos? Is it that much worse? I'm not going into this with high expectations, I just want to introduce the kids to skiing without having to pay out the rear for air fare or to be stuck in the car for 18-20 hours.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    Thanks, I've been to the Poconos when I lived up north. We are looking for something driveable, and we don't want to drive that far. 14 hrs max driving is about it for us, lol.

How does Snowshoe compare to the Poconos? Is it that much worse? I'm not going into this with high expectations, I just want to introduce the kids to skiing without having to pay out the rear for air fare or to be stuck in the car for 18-20 hours.
    I wouldn't drive 14 hours for any of our local skiing.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I haven't done it with my DC, but friends go to Wintergreen. I thought snowshoe was supposed to be okay as well. Although I learned to ski as a FL girl driving to Cataloochie and Sugar Mtn, but after going out west, I realized those are just like the hills you ride down going TO THE LIFT at Steamboat/Snowmass, etc. Part of me really struggles with not taking my DC out west to ski when it's time. Last year, I grabbed some other moms and we went out for 5 days/4 nights and had a complete blast. It really gave me a break from DC and let ME play in the snow. My DH is not a huge fan, so he didn't mind. It was so much cheaper to just pay for my own flight, lodging, lift tix, food, etc.

I know this is an old thread...but we did wind up going to Snowshoe, WV since we couldn't afford to go to Park City due to the pricey flights Christmas week. DH's company closed so off we went to Snowshoe and it was a blast!! The snow was really good, dry and powdery, and the ski school was great! They actually make a TON of their own snow so the conditions were really good. Honestly, having skied out west a few times, the snow was very comparable. It got a bit icy in the afternoons but not awful. We may have just lucked out the week we were there, but a lot of Floridians I know have found it a cheaper alternative to skiing out west, since you don't have to pay for airfare. I also found out that Snowshoe is owned by the same company the runs the Whistler/Blackcomb resort in BC. I read that they bought it a few years back and have invested a lot of money into it, which made for a great experience for us. (I have skied at Whistler actually, it the best of all of our out west skiing trips)

After two days in ski school my girls were doing greens and some blues, and going down the mountain a lot faster than me - and I am an intermediate level skier....I can do blues, occasional blacks, but usually slower than most, lol...

My only gripe was it was very crowded as Christmas week is their busiest week. The lift lines on Dec 30th were the worst, since many came for the New Years Eve festivities. But overall a great option if you live in the southeast!!
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 01-01-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That's great to know! Thanks for sharing! Maybe we can make a weekend out of it sometime soon.

I am not a skiier, but I have been to Snowshoe once in the summer and liked it very much as a summer place. I believe someone at a ski shop there said it's the largest facility in the southeast and that they get lots of floridians. They also said Canaan Valley is popular and very pretty, but that Snowshoe had more runs, as a I recall.

If you ever want a break from skiing or go in the off season, Cass Scenic Railroad (an old logging railroad with a very steep grade) is very nearby and a great family outing. If you have science buffs in the family, the Green Bank Radio Astronomy Telescope is also nearby and had an impressive array and visitor center, https://science.nrao.edu/facilities/gbt/

I'd be surprised if Wintergreen was worth it for someone coming from Florida. I haven't been there, but I think it's good for people in the state of Virginia who want a convenient place to ski, but not worth planning a vacation around.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9