Thread: NYC with 4.5 DS

Default NYC with 4.5 DS

DS and I will be going to NYC in August to visit family. Overall, I think it will be manageable but I have a few questions I can't wrap my mind around:

- car seat- I'm assuming I bring one for the cabs to and from the airport. Do people use them within the city as well. Any recommendations for something easy to fly with and install? I normally travel with our Britax but think it'll be too bulky.

- stroller? Do we need one given we will probably walk a lot? DS doesn't normally use a stroller anymore but I can bring the Maclaren if need be.

Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks in as

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

While car seats are not required in NYC taxis, your child will be safer with some sort of restraint. On the other hand, if you are going to be out and about, in and out of cabs, you won't want to schlep a Britax around all day. Depending on the size of your child, you might want to try a backless booster or something like the Ride Safer vest. http://www.amazon.com/RideSafer-Car-.../dp/B000KCV61U
    I have never used the vest, but it seems to get good reviews. We use a booster or car seat getting to and from the airport (if we fly...but usually we drive), but once we are in the city, we usually go without.

There are two places my 4YO uses a stroller. Disney World and NYC. We tend to do a lot of walking when we are in the city, and it really isn't that unusual to see kids up to 5 or 6 riding in strollers in the city. I've found our Maclaren is easy enough to fold up to bring on the bus and light enough to carry down into the subway
    Last edited by ilfaith; 07-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We went last year with 3.5 and 5.5 yo DC. The stroller was a must for us. My kids are just not used to walking as far as you need to walk there. We only brought one but two sure would have been nice! I carried kids for blocks and blocks grrrrr.
    For car seats, I used a service (Legends) that came with convertible seats installed for the ride from the airport to the city. I also brought bubble bums and schlepped them everywhere in case we needed to jump in a cab at some point during our visit. We also used the bubble bums for a planned trip for the New Jersey train station to a relative's home about a mile from the station.
    I would not bring the britax. I would try the vest or some combo of bubble bums like we did.
    DD
    DS

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You can request a carseat with a car service, but they'll often send the wrong type of seat (infant when you ask for toddler, etc) and you'll end up waiting around. You can legally go without, but I recommend a bubble bum or a ride safer vest. We use the Ride Safer with DD1 (4) and it works great. It's heavy to carry around though. If you think you'll be getting in and out of cabs and carrying things around, I'd go with the Bubble bum.

We live in NYC, and we don't use a stroller with DD1 anymore. But she is used to walking 20 blocks to and from preschool (or riding her scooter) daily, and then also going to the playground and running around like a maniac, etc. Having spent time with guests in the city, I realize that most kids probably don't walk this much, and you may want a stroller. Or just plan to stop often. It'll probably be hot and humid, so slow walking and frequent stopping will probably be good for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice. One more question- my DS is almost 5, 43.5 inches, but he only weighs about 35 lbs. Would the bubble bum still be safe for him?

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are headed to the city this weekend with DD (4.5 yo) and will definitely be taking the stroller (which we never use anymore). We walk all day long, and there's no way she could keep up. She does walk some, but it's just nice to have options. We use a bubble bum but have also used the seat from a car service in the past. We have used it since she was about 37 lbs (she's about 40 now). The website says 40 lbs. If you are concerned, I would just get the car service to install a booster for you. Do you plan on taking a lot of cabs when you are there? We tend not to, so using the carseat while we are there isn't an issue. Have fun!!!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just take the subway with my 3 yr old. I am not patient enough to hail a cab, nor do I find the drivers' skills to be within my comfort zone. There are public transit ways into Manhattan from at least two of the major airports (EWR and JFK have the AirTrain, and all 3 - EWR, JFK, LGA - have car and shuttle bus services available) so you may not necessarily need to schlep a carseat around with you.

FWIW, I don't own a lightweight stroller, so I wear DD in my KinderPack. In August, that's still do-able, but it'll be hot & muggy.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle