trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Smoothies with vegetables recipes?

What combos do your DCs like. I think this may be the only way to get veggies in DD. She flat out refuses to eat them dispite all the tricks I have tried. TIA!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

I just go by a formula. Banana has a strong flavor so it masks a lot of taste and is really sweet if you use really ripe ones. Then I add different frozen fruit combos. Berries or mixed tropical fruit. Oranges and pineapples are also stronger flavors. With greens you can add any kind. Just use more or less for flavor. Spinach is the most neutral and you can gradually move towards kale and chard.

My DS doesn't really drink smoothies or eat veggies. But he will eat Popsicles made of green smoothies. So we do that a lot.

I've done banana, mango, and pineapple mixed with spinach and carrots. No veggie flavor at all. Some kids don't like the green color, so my friend serves smoothies in opaque cups. If you want to hide the green color, use lots of berries...then it's dark purple.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We do spinach in all our smoothies and flax seed. DD likes veggies, so I am not really hiding them, but you can't taste them in the mixture.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Taste- and texture-wise, spinach is the most neutral because the vitamix really liquidizes it but my kids don't like the green color. You can hide the green with blueberries (you get a dark purple) but just be warned that you must drink it quickly otherwise it turns a gross greyish dark greenish purple.

I can hide a few carrots in an orange smoothie (strawberries, banana, mango, papaya, pineapple, orange juice), or I can hide a one-inch section of yellow squash in a pina colada smoothie.

Honestly, veggies are super hard to hide in smoothies because of the texture...you can't add very much or the texture becomes pretty gross. I was pretty disappointed in this because that was the primary reason I got a Vitamix. Practically any fruit is great but once you get past a certain ratio with raw veggies, the texture really deteriorates.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Taste- and texture-wise, spinach is the most neutral because the vitamix really liquidizes it but my kids don't like the green color. You can hide the green with blueberries (you get a dark purple) but just be warned that you must drink it quickly otherwise it turns a gross greyish dark greenish purple.

I can hide a few carrots in an orange smoothie (strawberries, banana, mango, papaya, pineapple, orange juice), or I can hide a one-inch section of yellow squash in a pina colada smoothie.

Honestly, veggies are super hard to hide in smoothies because of the texture...you can't add very much or the texture becomes pretty gross. I was pretty disappointed in this because that was the primary reason I got a Vitamix. Practically any fruit is great but once you get past a certain ratio with raw veggies, the texture really deteriorates.
    Ice seems to mitigate the texture issues for me in a green smoothie. I use chard/spinach/kale/apple/banana/huge glass of ice. My kids like it a bit. I am obsessed!

Trcy, have you tried making tomato sauce in the Vitamix? I threw in an onion, carrots and red pepper along with the tomatoes. The sauce was awesome!

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Ice seems to mitigate the texture issues for me in a green smoothie. I use chard/spinach/kale/apple/banana/huge glass of ice. My kids like it a bit. I am obsessed!

Trcy, have you tried making tomato sauce in the Vitamix? I threw in an onion, carrots and red pepper along with the tomatoes. The sauce was awesome!
    She won't eat tomato sauce. Pasta & sauce have to be separate or she will not eat the pasta.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15