Default Where to stay in San Francisco?

I have to go to San Francisco for work. It seems crazy to fly across the country for a one day board meeting, so DH and I are thinking of making a long weekend of it just the two of us. Plus, I have never been to CA, so this seems like a great opportunity to experience something new. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel, convenient to transportation? The hotel for my Board meeting is the Palace but we can't afford that for the two extra nights we will be staying. Also, any restaurants that you would recommend? We are thinking non-kid friendly so we can soak up some non-kid time Any must dos while we are there? TIA!
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Fun! There are a ton of hotels in the Financial District that *might* have good deals on the weekend, since they normally cater to business travelers who leave on Friday. I don't know them well enough to identify one, but depending on your budget, maybe see what comes up on Trip Advisor and then check the specific hotel website to see if they can beat their prices? Or consider renting a car and staying outside the city if your budget is really tight. It will be much cheaper but you lose the excitement of being in the city and gain the hassle of fighting traffic.

As for where to eat, it depends on what your budget is and your tastes. Since you won't have kids, I'd consider at least 1-2 "loud/trendy" places that you can never bring kids (they usually have awesome cocktails!) and maybe 1 classic gourmet restaurant (I'm a huge fan of Gary Danko's myself, but it's very classic cuisine and not necessarily cutting edge or "only-in-SF" cuisine). I always use Chowhound when traveling to a new city so maybe read a few threads on there (or start your own) to find the latest hot spots. For casual lunch fare, I like nibbling on random stuff at the Ferry Building market (raw oysters from Hog Island, charcuterie from Boccalone, fresh bread from Acme, cheese from Cowgirl, etc.), Tadich Grill (an old SF classic with good seafood), or Swan Oyster Depot (more seafood, but this is just a place with a long counter and has insane lines). There's also a ton of ethnic food if you're adventurous (beyond just Chinese, Indian, and Mexican, which are common throughout CA). We don't go to the city often enough w/o the kids for me to offer more current suggestions.

Have fun!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Chancellor Hotel is reasonably price and in a great location, right by union square, great breakfast next door. We were there or two nights and walked everywhere.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

Have dinner at The Slanted Door, if you can get a reservation!! It's in Embarcadero, on the water front. We walked from Union Square, to Chinatown, then Fisherman's wharf, before sitting down for an amazing dinner and great views.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-slanted-door-san-francisco

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I was first going to suggest the W because it has a pool, which would be good for the kids, but if you want non-kid time then maybe not!
    (I had a sort of romantic rendezvous with someone there years ago, and I remember thinking it was kind of a bummer that there were kids in this pool, putting a damper on things. :P)

I ate at the Slanted Door for lunch last time i was there. I bet it would be nice for dinner too.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    As for where to eat, it depends on what your budget is and your tastes. Since you won't have kids, I'd consider at least 1-2 "loud/trendy" places that you can never bring kids (they usually have awesome cocktails!) and maybe 1 classic gourmet restaurant (I'm a huge fan of Gary Danko's myself, but it's very classic cuisine and not necessarily cutting edge or "only-in-SF" cuisine). I always use Chowhound when traveling to a new city so maybe read a few threads on there (or start your own) to find the latest hot spots. For casual lunch fare, I like nibbling on random stuff at the Ferry Building market (raw oysters from Hog Island, charcuterie from Boccalone, fresh bread from Acme, cheese from Cowgirl, etc.), Tadich Grill (an old SF classic with good seafood), or Swan Oyster Depot (more seafood, but this is just a place with a long counter and has insane lines). There's also a ton of ethnic food if you're adventurous (beyond just Chinese, Indian, and Mexican, which are common throughout CA). We don't go to the city often enough w/o the kids for me to offer more current suggestions.

Especially the Gary Danko suggestion. Sooooooooo yummy! All the rest of the food recommendations are spot on too, IMO. Listen to smiles. She knows how to eat in SF!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Thanks everyone. I am a very adventurous eater but DH is not so much, although he likes sushi. I will definitely check out Gary Danko's and The Slanted Door.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012