Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What were they thinking????

DC goes to a public school (grades K-5). This summer the principal has decided to give the kids a reading "sheet". Every time they finish a book this summer they color in a square on a grid...a grid with 100 squares!!! Of course in "fine print" the sheet states that for chapter books a chapter "can" count as a square, but DC refuses to do this! We have a child that reads, ALL THE TIME and has read 20 chapter books already (in less than three weeks). We're talking books like Chronicles of Narnia! DC is insisting that the chart has to be completed before school starts and that she must read 100 books!!!!

I am beyond frustrated since our entire summer is going to be spent reading books to ensure this log is complete! As much as I love that there is so much reading happening, I want it to be for the simple pleasure of it, not to fill this crazy log. We spent the entire school year logging every book that was read, now the summer is turning out the same way!!!

My goal this summer was to "detox" from a really difficult school year, not to extend the pressure!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, with my high anxiety, rule following child there is nothing I can do to stop this. But we need a BREAK from the constant pressure!!!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

oh no, that stinks. Is there any way to get really short chapter books to help her out (vs long books like the Narnia series?). Sorry this is turning into a stressful assignment for you all

Argh. Along the lines of the PPer, can said child be persuaded to read short books for the log? Is there another younger child who would enjoy having board books read aloud? (Your own or a neighbor's or friend's?) Could easily read ten of those a day and still have plenty of time to do other fun things.

Otherwise, I would honestly consider throwing the log away. My kiddo was very obsessive about certain things when he was younger and I had to definitively put a stop to those things to keep them from inferring with his (and my) life.

Sorry, I know this is the bitching post so feel free to ignore my advice and just accept my commiseration.

Catherine

Is there anyone at the school you can call to help you out? Since the school didn't expect all 100 books to be read, they should have put on the list that they want 25 books read and these are the choices (or something like that), but oh well.

Keep in mind that for some children, joy comes from checking things off a list! It sounds like your DC is in that category. She may not see this as pressure, but a challenge! And if she likes to read, she may be insisting on reading the whole book simply because that is more fun than reading part way.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

hmm, yeah - i can see ^that. so ask her - is this stressful, is this fun, how would she feel if she tried & didn't get there, how would she feel if she didn't try, etc, and go from there?

but yeah, that sounds sorta harsh.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Graphic novels are popular, have a wide variety of titles/interests, and best of all: can be read quickly, even though they look like a full-size book! Many public libraries now carry them; look in 741.5 in the non-fiction section, or see if there is a spin-off section or shelf in the fiction area.

100 anythings in summer seems excessive! Hope it all works out for you both.

Thanks for the responses. DC may not be feeling the pressure, yet, but I am and can already foresee what is going to happen as the summer progresses.

There are certainly ways that we could fill the chart quickly, but DC is very much a rule follower and will actually declare books ineligible for the chart if they are graphic novels or not long enough for them to be in the correct "reading level"...

I would LOVE to throw the chart away, but it is somehow tied to a contest and DC doesn't want to let down the new class!

With the horrendous pressure on DC last school year, I am beyond frustrated. It was so bad last semester that I was considering pulling DC out of school for a few weeks. We need the pressure to disappear for awhile.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow. That's a lot of books. My oldest is also reading books at that level and while he reads a lot on his own. 100 of those more advanced chapter books would probably not be attainable for him over one summer!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Can you call the school and have them tell you that each chapter counts for one square? Then tell her the school SAID the RULE is one chapter equals one square. Might appeal to the rule follower instinct.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Can you call the school and have them tell you that each chapter counts for one square? Then tell her the school SAID the RULE is one chapter equals one square. Might appeal to the rule follower instinct.

Catherine
    I have been told by DC that I am not making any calls. Unfortunately, the assignment sheet says one book per square. People tell me how wonderful it must be to have a "rule follower", ARGHHH!!!

Thanks you all for your support, I think I have no recourse except to let this play out. I just HATE watching DC continue to stress about school work during summer break!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast