Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Seriously insurance???

I just got the bill for DS's penis surgery a month ago. Apparently our insurance doesn't think it's necessary for anesthesia because the EOB says they are not paying it because it's not medically necessary for this procedure. Ugh, really??? I really hope I get a male representative when I call about it this afternoon because I plan on asking him if he'd like to have his scrotum moved and his penis straightened, and then be circumcised with no anesthetic. What do they want them to do? Give him some advil?

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Omg! I hope that is a mistake!
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds as if someone may have mis-coded the procedure when they submitted the claim so it's listing as a simpler procedure than it is.

I would be just as mad as you and on the phone with everyone and their brother to get it resolved. It's stressful enough letting your baby go into surgery (I should know - I've done it 3 times!) but then you need to worry about this?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Surely that was coded incorrectly? That's crazy.
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

WHAATTT???? That is crazy! Can I join your b!tch? I have to call our insurance to get an exception for a prescription. If we have the same prescription filled x (I think 3 times) in a year (that isn't antibiotics) we get a nasty gram and threatened with the insurance NOT paying any of the cost. They want us to use the mail-order service (that is beyond difficult to work with if it is anything other than a maintenance med).

So Stachio needs an emergency inhaler. The Dr. won't prescribe a 90 day supply (typically required for mail order) because it is too much to have around the house. So I call the mail order place and they tell me that they can do a 30 day supply, but it will cost more than if I get it retail! Gah! It's not a maintenance med, but it isn't an antibiotic....they don't know what to do, but they certainly aren't helping me, it isn't more convenient for me, and it isn't more cost effective for me. Insurance is such a PITA!

I really hope you do get a male when you call about it. Hopefully whomever you speak with will have some common sense! But really, how is that a procedure that would not need Anesthesia - ever?
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That is the craziest thing I've ever heard!!! When you call, I would keep transferring customer service reps until you get a male.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

wow OP, that's crazy!! Hopefully the rep on the phone will realize how foolish the bill is and help take care of it right away.

So it was not coded incorrectly. When I called and explained that I had just received an EOB that denied the claim the rep goes "WHAT?!?!?!" She was the most personable, friendly insurance rep I have ever talked with. So at least I didn't have someone rude. They denied it because apparently they don't think that's the proper anesthetic to be using for this procedure. I'm still puzzled as to what exactly they were wanting them to use. So now I need to call the hospital to figure out who I call for the anesthesia's billing dept so they can send a letter of medical necessity in hopes that they "might" approve it.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    WHAATTT???? That is crazy! Can I join your b!tch? I have to call our insurance to get an exception for a prescription. If we have the same prescription filled x (I think 3 times) in a year (that isn't antibiotics) we get a nasty gram and threatened with the insurance NOT paying any of the cost. They want us to use the mail-order service (that is beyond difficult to work with if it is anything other than a maintenance med).

So Stachio needs an emergency inhaler. The Dr. won't prescribe a 90 day supply (typically required for mail order) because it is too much to have around the house. So I call the mail order place and they tell me that they can do a 30 day supply, but it will cost more than if I get it retail! Gah! It's not a maintenance med, but it isn't an antibiotic....they don't know what to do, but they certainly aren't helping me, it isn't more convenient for me, and it isn't more cost effective for me. Insurance is such a PITA!

I really hope you do get a male when you call about it. Hopefully whomever you speak with will have some common sense! But really, how is that a procedure that would not need Anesthesia - ever?
    That is totally annoying!! Sometimes I just don't get insurance. Luckily my first job was in a prosthetic office so I learned a lot about billing/coding/insurance even though I was the accountant. Our insurance will cover immunizations at 100% if we go in network. So they will pay the dr's office over $200/shot, but will only reimburse me $6 if I go to the local health department (which I prefer to do because the nurses are much better) for a $10 shot. I just don't get why they will waste all that money when I prefer to go to someplace much, much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    That is the craziest thing I've ever heard!!! When you call, I would keep transferring customer service reps until you get a male.
    I just read this. Totally should have done that!!

And I just found the multiquote button on this new format as I"m typing this. Sorry for all the single quote posts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast