Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default "Normal" airfare from SFO/Oakland/Boston to Hawaii (specifically Kauai?)

We are hoping to join DH's parents in Hawaii (Kauai) next March, and we are starting to look at airfares.

We have tons of miles on Southwest, and we were thinking that we could use those to get us to the West coast. And then pay for a ticket from the West coast to Kauai.

I haven't flown to Hawaii since our honeymoon nearly 9(!) years ago, and we paid around $600/ticket from Boston then, so I have no idea what a normal or good price is.

I was hoping someone could help weigh in on what a decent price is for airfare. I appreciate any help!!

- I am seeing around $500 a ticket from Oakland to Kauai, is that a good price?

- For Boston to Kauai, tickets are $1000+, is that normal, if I hold out a little longer can I do better?

I think we can swing 4x$500/ticket (plus use miles) to get us there, but 4x$1000 is just too much, Thanks for any help!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

$500 for OAK to LIH is excellent. Airfare is just going to go up, and FF tix harder to find, so I would buy tix sooner rather than later. That said, I would have expected that BOS to LIH would be around $750, so it seems a shame to use miles to get across country and then buy another set of tix unless you are going to spend time in SF as well. However, unlike OAK or SFO, I'm not as familiar with fares from the East Coast to Kauai. Lucky you!

for Sandy Hook

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am surprised the flight from Boston is so high as well, but maybe it is the connection to kauia that is making it higher. We are looking at going in January and leaving from NYC it is $650 to Honolulu.
    DD1 6/08
    DD2 10/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Gererally I've never ever found that waiting helps.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Doesn't kayak.com provide information on fare trends?
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    $500 for OAK to LIH is excellent. Airfare is just going to go up, and FF tix harder to find, so I would buy tix sooner rather than later. That said, I would have expected that BOS to LIH would be around $750, so it seems a shame to use miles to get across country and then buy another set of tix unless you are going to spend time in SF as well. However, unlike OAK or SFO, I'm not as familiar with fares from the East Coast to Kauai. Lucky you!
    We are only willing to break up the flights if it saves us a lot of $$$, otherwise the hassle is most definitely not worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBaby View Post
    I am surprised the flight from Boston is so high as well, but maybe it is the connection to kauia that is making it higher. We are looking at going in January and leaving from NYC it is $650 to Honolulu.
    We are even considering driving down the NYC to fly out, because it looked like the airfares are $250/each cheaper, $1000 would be worth that drive (if we can figure out overnights and parking)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Gererally I've never ever found that waiting helps.
    Thanks, that is the sense I am getting. We are trying to hurry up and make a decision. We are so used to flying with Southwest, with no change fees, and knowing that we would use the credit easily at a later date, that it is more stressful to book with another airline, especially so far in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    Doesn't kayak.com provide information on fare trends?
    Only about 90 days previously, I wasn't sure if airfares might drop some, or if the $1000 airfare was something normal for Boston for that time of year. Covering all my bases

Thanks for all the input, pretty sure we are going to book today. Reading old threads on the BBB about Kauai, and I am so excited!!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have been to Kauai about 5 or 6 times, so let me know if you have questions!

for Sandy Hook

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

what airlines are you looking at?

Alaska flies to Hawaii from California, Hawaiian Airlines of course, I just heard that Allegiant Air is going to offer a few flights a week from the LA to Hawaii for CHEAP! Like under $100 each way cheap! http://beatofhawaii.com/hawaii-deal-...u-96-each-way/

We have a choice of two different places to stay:

- Poipu right on the beach
    - Princeville with a drive to the beach

We have a 4 and a 2 year old. Which would you choose? Or a little of both?

This will drive the choice of dates, madly trying to make a decision to book
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would probably go with Poipu. Our friends stayed in Hanalei and loved it, but it was during the summer. In spring I think Princeville has more rain.
    Last edited by Tondi G; 07-15-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast