Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Couldn't read and not send hugs your way. Some people can be so thoughtless in their words. Please vent away!! Sounds like the manicurist is stuck in stereotypes. There are plenty of close mom/son relationships out there. Aren't your glad your boys are with you, instead of stuck with someone like her?

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All of those people are off their rockers. And rude. And, well, jerks.

For what it's worth, I dare any one of them to tell my MIL that she's not my DS1 and DS2's "real" grandma. I'd pay to see that one go down.

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am so sorry this keeps happening, that is so so rude! And I can't help thinking how do they think their own kids are going to feel hearing this stuff? Awful on so many levels. And FWIW, I love my MIL!
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm so, so sorry that you've had so many run-ins with people who apparently need a major crash course in basic social appropriateness. How bizarre and rude!! People sometimes are very strange. (FWIW I have two girls, and have had multiple people tell me that I'll just have to try again to get my boy. And while I have no plans to "try again to get my boy", if we do ever decide to go for a third, I would be over the moon if we had a boy.)

As an aside, my two closest married girlfriends are both much closer to their MILs than to their own mothers, and their families spend much more time with their in-laws; one of my girlfriends regularly goes shopping/out to lunch/etc with her MIL, and her MIL is much, much closer to their son than her own mother is. I don't think it's at all true that the paternal grandmother is less close to the grandchildren!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am flabbergasted by how people can be so tactless and rude like that. I happen to have two DDs, and I love them and appreciate them dearly. If I had two boys I would love them and want them just as much. People like that need to shut their traps. I do still get the occasional "Are you going to try for a boy?" I just reply with, "Frankly, I am too damn old to have another."
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's appalling. You have not failed anyone and are rightly proud of your two healthy, sweet boys. Don't let them get you down! I suggest you start working on some come back lines.

People are stupid. I get asked often when we're going to "try for a boy." people ask whether my DH is disappointed the second wasn't a boy. I've been told things like "Every guy wants a son" - even when dd2 was a newborn. DH and I are perfectly thrilled with our girls and would have been thrilled no matter what their genders.

People also assume that the dream scenario is a boy and a girl. The dream scenario, in my mind, is healthy and happy kids, gender is irrelevant.

My DH is a lovely son to his parents, and so is my dad (or was, when my grandparents were alive). You know better than to listen to their ridiculous talk, although I know how irritating it can be.

for Sandy Hook

How RUDE. I'm sorry, OP. People should just shut their mouths.

We get the opposite comments--we now have two girls--and wowzers, apparently that is quite bad! Who know! Certain family members were the worst. They only wanted boys. No girls for them, please! Which annoyed the ever living daylight out of me since I love my sweet girls!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    People also assume that the dream scenario is a boy and a girl. The dream scenario, in my mind, is healthy and happy kids, gender is irrelevant.
    Well said.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

I have two girls, and we recently found out that our third is a boy. When I posted on Facebook asking for advice on raising a boy after two girls, I was shocked at how many negative responses I got. I'm super excited to have a little boy, and it's disturbing that people would say negative things about the sex of someone's child. Ughh, I'm so sorry OP.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so so sorry you've had to deal with this. Some people are just not nice. FWIW...I have two boys and LOVE it! They are the best of friends and play so nicely together. I'm so so glad they will always have one another as we go through this crazy life of ours.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast