Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I think it was a prediction, not a preference, and there are tons of rumors that they know it is a girl.
    I said girl because I think it is awesome that the monarchy has finally changed to allow girls to take the throne on the same footing as boys. That was my sole reason.

I am sorry you have run into so many people who have been so rude (and so wrong) about boys. I am frankly stunned at the sheer numbers you are reporting. I never had that experience when we were waiting to adopt a second time.

Catherine

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I think it was a prediction, not a preference, and there are tons of rumors that they know it is a girl.
    Yes, exactly. I don't think the royal baby poll is any indicator of how society feels about baby girls v. boys.

Remember that girl children are still unwanted in many parts of the world (South Asia, China, many parts of Africa). Female babies are so undesired that female infanticide is common, or girl children are deprived of health care, nutrition, education, etc. Celebrating girls is relatively recent in more "developed" societies as well. "May you be the mother of 100 sons" is a common Indian blessing (and the name of a book I read some years ago.) Just to put it in perspective - many moms the world over would kill to be in your shoes!

I like the comeback that specialp suggests!

for Sandy Hook

KLD313 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I wonder if this is a cyclical type thing. I always used to think years ago everyone wanted boy's. Unless that was just in my family and it's coloring my memory.

People really should just be quiet. I don't understand why everyone thinks they can say whatever they want and it doesn't matter.

When I found out the sex when I was pg with DS my mother told me not to tell her if it was a boy. Wow! Apparently she thought DD should have a sister and a boy was a disappointment. Now she says she wishes she had a son (gee thanks).

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Weird...I really wanted another boy but I've been blessed with 3 girls! I'm hearing the same crap. I'm thrilled for another girl, not disappointed like everyone seems to think I should be.
    Shandelle
    Proud mom to Dallin 10/03 Maddie 1/06 Zoey 4/10 Sadie 7/13

janine is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As the mom of 2 DD's, I got my fair share of comments in the other direction ("oh another girl?your husband probably wants to try for a boy, right? all men do!" "Girls are SO much harder than boys...easy in the beginning, emotional messes later." to "guess your DH won't have anyone to help him out!").

Seriously people in general project too much..saying crap like this makes them feel better about themselves ("oh so glad I have one of each!" really? didn't know this was a game of bingo!).

Same sex siblings are awesome, it's a different kind of close.

*hugs*

My first two are boys and I hear you 100%!

In fact, it is ten times worse now that we have DD, I can't tell you how many times I hear some variation of "you must be so happy to finally have your girl!"

It is ironic as I was really hoping for another boy as I just adore the first two so much!

It really grates on me, like poor DS2 ever needs to feel like a spare son or flat out unwanted.

I usually make some sort of lame comment like "yes, I am so lucky to have three beautiful healthy children." But I swear I have been tempted to smack the crap out of someone more than once.
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. You definitely get more comments than I do, but it's true that only *once* have I ever heard anyone say anything positive to me about having two boys. It's crazy! You hear so many negative comments and never a positive one.

But I love having two boys. As they get older and start to be able to play together more I bet you are just going to love it more and more. Those moms are missing out, especially the ones who had two boys and never saw the joy that it is.

That is so silly. Boys are awesome!!

Also just wanted to let you know that you should move to my neck of the woods. It is the exact opposite. Everyone wants boys and lots of them.

Late to the thread, but I have to say I got the complete opposite stuff about having two girls, and all the drama they must bring, and how poor DH must wish he had a son. Right after DD2 was born, people were asking if we were going to try for a boy next. Or telling me it was OK, there was always the possibility for a son next time.

And now? When people discover that DC3 is a boy? They are "relieved" for me that I "finally got my boy", and exclaim over how thrilled DH must be. When I say, "well, he'd have been thrilled either way", they answer back "they say that, but men aren't complete without a son."

Um, OK. Thanks for saying that in front of his two beloved daughters. I'm sure they feel so good about themselves knowing that his life would have been incomplete if they had been his only children. Idiots.

But then, I've also gotten "boy are you in for a rude awakening - boys are so much harder than girls, you've had it so easy until now" as well as "you're so lucky, boys are so much easier than girls - you're going to love having a mama's boy". I think people just can't think before opening their mouths, in general, and say the first bit of drivel that pops into their heads just to try to sound friendly.

I'm much less worried about what bits the baby comes with, then how I am going to take care of everyone's needs and be a good mom to all of them! Every kid has different parenting requirements, boy or girl, and unfortunately none of them come with a manual...

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I already replied to this thread, but wanted to add some more.
    I always thought I would be a girl mom, I am not a girly-girl, but the type of person who felt confident that I would raise a good, confident girl who will know what is important in life, will value herself etc.
    And then I found out it was a boy I was firstly surprised. I was NOT disappointed for one nano second. I was surprised and then I was happy - I was happy because I was looking at my child (us). And then DS arrived, and I continued to look at my child.
    And all this while I was pondering over why I thought I was a girl mom when I am discovering all the way that I am a boy mom - I realized I was projecting my beliefs and aspirations for myself. I realized that I was also thinking of the "side" I know best - being a girl! And having a boy just made me realize how much of an opportunity I have to make him this person who values everyone else, not just himself, since society is set up for men to succeed and feel empowered. I LOVE being a boy's mom. I LOVE being MY boy's mom. And if I ever have a girl, I would love her just as much and will mold myself into a girl's mom too.

Just as a side, I also think that people feel the need to say something when they hear a pregnant woman is having one or other. They also feel the unnecessary and unwarranted need to say something when they see a bunch of kids, regardless of gender. I somewhat agree with Citymama's reference to western society now moving towards favoring girls and I just feel that it is an awkward overcompensation for having "revered" boys for the "glory" they bring. So, I doubt it's you (or your boys), it's them - they want to seem progressive by being part of the overcompensating society. They are thinking about themselves, their values/views and how they want to seem and not how it affects you.

So, please do not google what it means to be a boy's mom. Trust me, the other moms on this board and yourself - it's wonderful to be a mom. period.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8