edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would you use the Peapod Plus WITH REPAIR KIT for a 12 month old?

Whose not very mobile?

I'm planning to take the PnP for our trip to the Caribbean next week (because the hotel cribs are beyond hazardous, I've stayed there before), but between all the cr@p I have to take with us (travel crib, stroller, car seat, booster, etc., etc, etc.) and the luggage limits with the airline, I've been wondering since this morning if I'm being too paranoid about the Peapod and should just take that one. We got it for DS when he was 2.5, I've always felt it was better suited for the 18m+ crowd, but now that I actually took the repair kit out of the box and put it on the Peapod, I have to admit it does make it sturdier. As in very similar to the Phil & Teds Traveler concept.

DD has motor issues, she's 12 months old but not sitting up by herself, not crawling, etc. She doesn't move around much during the night. She can roll over both ways, push up when on her tummy, scoot around a bit. So would you use it?
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I have it with the repair kit but I haven't used it for DD2 yet. I might consider it, but I would be nervous. Can you co-sleep with her? I usually end up with DD2 in bed with us when we travel.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I have it with the repair kit but I haven't used it for DD2 yet. I might consider it, but I would be nervous. Can you co-sleep with her? I usually end up with DD2 in bed with us when we travel.
    We partially cosleep (from about 4 am on) but we have a King size bed. At the hotel we'll have smaller beds (Queen or Full size IIRC) since we are staying in a 2 bedroom villa and we get the room with double beds and my parents get the Master bedroom. So, I'll either share a bed with DS or DH, and I don't like the idea of cosleeping like that. Plus I need somewhere to put her for naps. Or maybe I can talk my parents into switching rooms with us and having DS sleep with them.

IDK, maybe we'll just suck it up and take the PnP. I have the Peapod out, I'll see what DH thinks about it when he gets home. Though I'm the more paranoid of the two.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Last edited by tg_canada; 07-16-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tg_canada View Post
    This won't help you as I'm sure I'm being illogical...but I read the Mom's comments on an Amazon review and elsewhere after her baby died and after they got the autopsy report back and I cannot get the image out of my head. I could never use a Peapod and feel comfortable with it.

I'm also bothered because the mom had commented that the autopsy report came back saying cause of death was "positional asphyxiation" I think it was, but the recall notice says death was inconclusive or some thing like that? So the inconsistency worries me.

Anyway, I'm just fueling you fire which I realize isn't helpful. But I guess I'm trying to say I understand being worried.
    This incident was the reason for the repair kit. The baby was 5 or 7 months old IIRC, and I would never had put a baby so young in it, even prior to this incident. They initially stopped selling them, and then they designed a repair kit to make it safer. Also they increased the recommended age from birth and up to 1 yo and up. The repair kit consists of a slim foam mattress (instead of the inflatable one) and 4 rails that you put on each 'corner" of the Peapod that make the sides taught and sturdy. The sides are made of nylon, but IIRC so are the sides of the Baby Bjorn travel crib and the Phil & Teds one, so I keep wondering if they're all equally non-breathable. IDK, my head's spinning from all the stuff I have to figure out for this trip, LOL.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    This incident was the reason for the repair kit.
    I'm aware of that, which is why I said I was being illogical. I still don't like the inconsistency in the cause of death. And I didn't like the company's initial response or how the Peapods were on sale for dirt cheap all over Canada a few months after this happened, clearing them out until the recall. I can't recall if their sales were ever stopped here.

I'm aware of the repair kit too and I still wouldn't use it. That's the way I roll though. Certain things hit me hard and this was one of them.

I would use it. I have used it with & without the repair kit, but my child is 3 so much older. I'd be ok with a child out of the "infant" stage. In several incidents the mattress was misused (the ppl laid it on the floor of the tent rather than sliding it in the pocket). This created more of a crevice between the mattress & wall. Also, some children ended up under the mattress (which should be impossible). I also read the the peapod originates from Europe, where over a million have been sold w/o incident.

All in all I feel like if it is used correctly, plus with the repair kit, it is a safe item.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    I would use it. I have used it with & without the repair kit, but my child is 3 so much older. I'd be ok with a child out of the "infant" stage. In several incidents the mattress was misused (the ppl laid it on the floor of the tent rather than sliding it in the pocket). This created more of a crevice between the mattress & wall. Also, some children ended up under the mattress (which should be impossible). I also read the the peapod originates from Europe, where over a million have been sold w/o incident.

All in all I feel like if it is used correctly, plus with the repair kit, it is a safe item.
    Thanks, I do feel it's safer with the new rails. I was wondering how on Earth the mattress could cause a problem, but if people put it on top instead of inside the pocket I can see how that would happen. I do think it was a big mistake to advertise it for "birth and up".

I let DD sleep in it during her afternoon nap, and she did OK. I still would not use it with a small baby (which was my opinion since we bought it and before that baby dying in one), but since DD is 1, maybe I will. With the repair kit I see no way for her face to get caught in the sides and suffocate. I'm still on the fence, but it's definitely better than the hotel crib (it's wooden, wobbly, badly assembled, slats very far apart, low sides, the one we got was practically coming apart, in fact one side was not screwed in correctly and there was a gap between the mattress and the rail, we asked for another one and same thing... needless to say I coselpt with DS, 6 months at the time). My other option is hauling a 22 pound PnP.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012