Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by daniele_ut View Post
    have you factored in the cost of transportation to and from the airport? All the resorts in CO are significantly farther from the Denver airport than the UT resorts are from SLC. Also, you conceivably fly in to SLC in the AM and be skiing that afternoon. In Denver that wouldn't be possible.

I know kids under 7 ski free at the Canyons and 7-14 get reduced rates but they haven't published the 2013-14 rates yet. The Costcos here have reduced price lift tickets for the Canyons during the season and they were a good deal, though maybe not better than buying a 5 day ticket. I'd be happy to look for them if you do decide on UT.
    Thanks. I will keep you posted on what we decide. Just curious, if the kids are in ski school, that would include lift tickets, iirc, so would the discount help us any? A PP mentioned that too, that if you use ski school (which I don't know how many days we would yet) the whole kids ski free thing may not be as helpful?
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    Thanks. I will keep you posted on what we decide. Just curious, if the kids are in ski school, that would include lift tickets, iirc, so would the discount help us any? A PP mentioned that too, that if you use ski school (which I don't know how many days we would yet) the whole kids ski free thing may not be as helpful?
    As a clarification to my earlier post, at Beaver Creek, our kids skied a total of 4 days, 3 of which were in ski school. Lift tickets were available for a small fee on the ski school days (if they wanted to ski more after their lessons). I would check with the resorts for details. We purchased our lift tickets online in advance for a substantial discount. We rented gear in Avon vs. at BCR for a discount as well. I thought that the ski school at BCR was great for my older kids, but not so great for my little one due to crowds (she got stuck on a little hill that was way too congested which meant she stood in line the vast majority of the time). This may be the case elsewhere too during a busy time such as spring break.

I think the harder a place is to get to, the less crowded it will be, but that also usually means the more expensive it is to get to, as that also usually means more than one flight. If you are looking to have less crowds, spring break is a better bet, as everyone has off at Christmas/New Year's but there is a range of about two months for spring breaks.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

have you factored in the cost of transportation to and from the airport? All the resorts in CO are significantly farther from the Denver airport than the UT resorts are from SLC. Also, you conceivably fly in to SLC in the AM and be skiing that afternoon. In Denver that wouldn't be possible.
    I think it's very possible in Denver. Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper Mountain are all 1.5 to 2 hrs from DIA.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Not all resorts include lift tix in the lesson prices! Look carefully.

As for skiing that day--Park City is 30-45 mins from the airport. Wayyyyyy better than 2 hours

Also--you might want to wait till the middle to end of August to look for deals. Most mountains are still promoting summer lodging. Season passes etc. go on sale in August-September so I think that is when resorts start posting their promo deals.
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 07-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's very possible in Denver. Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper Mountain are all 1.5 to 2 hrs from DIA.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Not all resorts include lift tix in the lesson prices! Look carefully.

As for skiing that day--Park City is 30-45 mins from the airport. Wayyyyyy better than 2 hours

Also--you might want to wait till the middle to end of August to look for deals. Most mountains are still promoting summer lodging. Season passes etc. go on sale in August-September so I think that is when resorts start posting their promo deals.
    I agree that PC is much easier to get to from the airport in SLC vs. ski resorts in Colarado (generally flying to Denver; the smaller airports in CO tend to be pricier and require a connecting flight). The problem we face (like the OP, coming from FL) is that we cannot get direct flights to SLC. I personally would rather fly direct to Denver and drive 1.5 to 2 hours rather than having a connecting flight to SLC then driving 45 minutes. We could get a direct flight to SLC if we drove about 2.5 - 3 hours, but that defeats the purpose. I believe the OP is in a different city than we are, so she may be able to find direct flights to SLC from her home airport.

Quote Originally Posted by flashy09 View Post
    But then you have to factor in how long it takes to get your luggage and actually get OUT of the airport in Denver . I hate flying through Denver! I've been stuck there overnight twice due to weather delays in the winter.

I live 15 minutes from the SLC airport and have walked off the plane and been home in as little as 25 minutes after landing because the airport is so compact.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5