Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Family friendly ski resorts out west...looking for recommendations.

After considering going to Snowshoe, WV or NC to ski this winter, (we're in FL), we're now considering taking the family out west. DH and I used to ski out west prior to kids but never really paid any attention if the resorts were family friendly or not. Just love it out there!

Airfare will probably be our biggest obstacle. Right now it looks like flights to Denver are the cheapest, which means we could go to Vail, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Breckenridge, etc.

I'd like to know of other options too. My only concern with CO is the very high altitude, and I wonder how that affects kids. Are they more susceptible to altitude sickness? My friend, who is in very good physical shape, got it when we were in Breckenridge, and had to be put on oxygen. Her oxygen saturation had dropped to 72% and she developed pulmonary edema. It was nuts. I guess you never know, but I'd like to minimize the chances if possible.

I've never been to Park City, UT or Jackson Hole, WY. I've always wanted to go, not sure if airfare will work in our favor. I wonder how all of these places are for kids. Please share your experiences.
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 07-16-2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Park City is beautiful. I'm not a winter sports person though so I can't say about family friendly although Utah itself is pretty family friendly.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My DH took our 3 oldest to Dear Valley this year and they had a great time. The kids did ski school for most of the days and DH was very impressed with it. They skied in Park City one of the days and liked that too. They've skied in Colorado before, but found Utah easier to get to (shorter drive).

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We travelled from FL to CO for our kids first time seeing snow and a ski trip. We were priced out of Park City as well (but loved it there on before children trips). I believe there are direct flights to PC from Orlando. We have friends that really enjoyed PC and Deer Valley for families.

After quite a bit of research, we decided on Beaver Creek Resort near Vail (flying into Denver; there is a smaller airport in Vail). Our children did not have any issues with the altitude, thankfully. Our spring break was late March, so we did not want to be too low. We found a fabulous 3BR Condo in Avon (just outside the BCR entrance; 2 miles to the ski school) which provided plenty of space, a full kitchen and laundry. The lodging in BCR itself was very pricey, and was a bit small for our family of 5. The ski school was great overall, especially for our older children. BCR is very family friendly and we would not hesitate to return.

As someone who lives in Salt Lake City and skis with her children---I will say that SLC is the best for family friendly skiing. If you want to stay in the mountains, then stay in Park City. Deer Valley is extremely expensive but awesome amenities. Its easy and great to get a condo in PC and then ski at either PC, the Canyons or Deer Valley. There is a shuttle that takes you everywhere. Lots of restaurants. If you want to take a day off, then come down to SLC and hit the various museums and other kid attractions.

In the Cottonwood Canyons, Brighton is absolute tops for teaching kids to ski. Solitude is a lovely resort that is very quiet and it just doesn't have the crows. Snowbird gets lots of people from all over and it has a good kids' ski school. But if you stay in the Canyons, you are kind of stuck there. Depends on what you want.

You could even stay in Salt Lake City and then ski a different place every day-if your kids don't need lessons. That's cheaper and lots of fun.

Jackson Hole is COLD-really, really cold. brrrrrrrr. Altitude doesn't seem to bother kids the way it does adults. You have to drink lots of water here. The altitude does make you more tired, so don't push them too hard.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When I lived in FL, I went with a family to Steamboat. Kids ski free there with an adult ticket.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I grew up skiing out west traveling from the east coast. Breckinridge and Copper are particularly high and so I don't recommend them. Steamboat is the BEST for kids but a long drive from Denver. You can fly into a nearby airport as well. I have done both. They used to have direct flights into the nearby airport (Avon I think) that went through one of the Texas airports. Vail/Beaver Creek is also good for kids but is a more intense atmosphere and more expensive. Park City, Utah is also very good. Whatever you choose, I recommend you rent a condo.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've been to Keystone and Park City (in the summer, not for skiing) with a large family group.

At Keystone almost half our group got altitude sickness! Whereas at Park City no one did. Keystone is generally 2000 feet higher and it makes a big difference. Try to stay below 8000 feet.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Yes, I'm really wanting to go to Park City since I've never been there myself either. The flights are so pricey, which is killing me. I looked at them last night. Do you think it would be cheaper to fly out over Winter break or Spring break? And is the snow still good in mid to late March? Right now we're leaning toward Winter Break since DH's company closes for 10 days.

I'm sure the flights are probably cheaper other times, but I don't want to take my kids out of school for vacations.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Have you looked into flights to Salt Lake City? We live in Maryland, but they are abundant and reasonable here. From there, its a pretty short drive to Park City. I believe that Park City historically has the most reliable snow.

Ooops, just saw your last post. We like spring skiing best.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast